Why so complicated? 110v PID SSR wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
Currently trying to wire my PID and SSR for a RIMS tube and I couldn't be more confused. Why hasn't anyone posted a simple diagram for wiring? So far I understand that the direct power goes into the SSR on the high voltage side and the neutral goes straight to the load. The low voltage side goes into the PID and back to the SSR. The second post on the high voltage goes to load. Am I correct in saying that a second power source is used to power the PID?

There are a bunch of simple diagrams out there. What controller are you using? All SSRs are the same...

Sounds like you might be in over your head here right now. Maybe time to learn about the basics before smoking your panel?

Currently trying to wire my PID and SSR for a RIMS tube and I couldn't be more confused. Why hasn't anyone posted a simple diagram for wiring? So far I understand that the direct power goes into the SSR on the high voltage side and the neutral goes straight to the load. The low voltage side goes into the PID and back to the SSR. The second post on the high voltage goes to load. Am I correct in saying that a second power source is used to power the PID?

No.

Here's a design that was done for a European system at 230V (220V - 240V), but the only difference between EU 230V and US 120V is the voltage and the color convention for the wires. EU uses brown for the hot line and blue for the neutral line. US uses black for the hot line and white for the neutral. Green is ground for both. How many watts is your heating element? The wire sizes will be different depending on the answer, and the required circuit breaker rating may change as well. The switches don't need to be rated for 240V either. They can be 120V. Depending on the brand and model of your PID, the pinout will vary, so don't blindly go by the pinout in this diagram.

Minimal DSPR110 240V only EU.png

Electricity is dangerous, especially around water. Make sure your panel is fed from a GFCI protected circuit. The GFCI is there to save your a$$. If you have ANY doubts about how things are supposed to be connected, get qualified help before plugging anything in.

Brew on :mug:

Just to answer some of the questions. I have a REX C100 series PID, Fotek SSR, and Im running a RIMS tube with a 5500W 240V element at 110V. I did find another diagram that explained more of the SSR part. My main question was more in regards to how to connect the relay and not so much the PID. I may not be an electrician but ill be damned if I let someone else build my set up for me. Building a system is just as fun as the brewing process. Im open to learn whatever I can so I do not have to keep buying new parts from trial and error. I may be in over my head on certain things but in the end Ill make it happen...

Back