Why of why did i ferment Apfelwein in my study?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of Apfelwein about a week ago, and the room in my house where i keep my carboys is in the room where i do all my studying. I wish I knew beforehand that it smelled like rhino farts. So now im here trying to write a paper on american foreign policy during the cold war and it smells like the morning after an all you can eat burrito buffet at the local rhino exhibit. Any suggestions on a way to cut down the stank??

Many people have found adding yeast nutrient along with the Montrachet keeps the stank away. I'm definitely going to try it on my next batch of apfelwein since my fermenters live in my bedroom.

My study smells worse than that when I am watching football on sunday, drinking beer.

I've been tempted to run a blowoff tube out the window, and into cup of water on the outside. However, with the cold air, I run the chance of the cup freezing, and blowing the top off my fermentor!

nick

Back