Why not go right to all grain brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
olllllo said:
I'm just being snarky, but yes. Extract batches will help you answer these questions in small bites.
snarky's a good word!

but, you really nailed it. Experience. making beer is half science, half art. you can read about paint and canvas and study it til your eyes bleed... but when you pickup the paintbrush for the first time, Mona Lisa is not going to pour out onto your canvas.

same holds true here. the more you know about every aspect, the better. controlling your fementation is probably the first most important lesson, and would include all aspects of sanitization.

once that's a no-brainer, you can focus your mind on expanding thru complexity and advanced techniques.

niquejim said:
I was going to do an AG but I'm on my own teaching 20-30 with no experience.

rdwj said:
You're teaching 20-30 people and have never done this before? Seems like a REALLY bad idea. You should get a couple of sessions under your belt before trying to show others - even if it's just extract.

I think there was a misunderstanding here. Allow me to add a couple words:

niquejim++ said:
I was going to do an AG but I'm on my own teaching 20-30, none of whom have any experience.

*said in Edgar-suit voice* There. Is that better?

EDIT:
5001788_gr.jpg

menschmaschine said:
I think it really depends on the individual. If you're mechanically inclined, studious, a science geek, and realistically interested in brewing to the point that you see yourself doing it for a long time (i.e., not fickle with hobbies), one can go right into all-grain. (Oh and don't forget the money.) I only say this because that describes my situation. I figured extracts didn't exist hundreds of years ago, and with the info on today's internet, why not? I like to make things from scratch (see my pretzel recipe thread:)). It took me 6 months of research and 2 months building a 3-tier keggle system. I conjured up my own recipe for a lager (and bought a chest freezer w/ temp control) and once I was confident in the science behind it and the procedures of actually doing it, I did it. My first batch is in bottles now (primed with gyle) and, apart from being a slightly sweet due to an uncorrected high OG, tastes pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. I can sum it up like this: if you build it, beer will come.:mug:

AMEN ! Bro.! :mug:

Two extract+grain kits, a PM then onto all grain for me. I didn't buy anything for extract that I'm not still using. Its not hard to do all grain but by doing extract first I was able to build up the equipment that I needed and get a feel for if I would enjoy this hobby. I didn't spend much to get into all grain though the total keeps going up.
Craig

I starterd with AG too, I read one book, built a bunch of equipment that I had never heard of, and have had nothing but great beer. Patience and planning are the key to starting off with AG. I recently built my second, now 10 gallon, AG setup and a keggle for about $45... the tuns and rack that they roll around on were about $200 total with digital therms through the walls etc...
Start with AG if you like, and PM some of us who did the same if you want tips on getting it started successfully... that is what we are all here for!

Pol

menschmaschine said:
I think it really depends on the individual. If you're mechanically inclined, studious, a science geek, and realistically interested in brewing to the point that you see yourself doing it for a long time (i.e., not fickle with hobbies), one can go right into all-grain. (Oh and don't forget the money.) I only say this because that describes my situation. I figured extracts didn't exist hundreds of years ago, and with the info on today's internet, why not? I like to make things from scratch (see my pretzel recipe thread:)). It took me 6 months of research and 2 months building a 3-tier keggle system. I conjured up my own recipe for a lager (and bought a chest freezer w/ temp control) and once I was confident in the science behind it and the procedures of actually doing it, I did it. My first batch is in bottles now (primed with gyle) and, apart from being a slightly sweet due to an uncorrected high OG, tastes pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. I can sum it up like this: if you build it, beer will come.:mug:

For the sake of discussion, one could:
  • walk into a LHBS;
  • plunked down $ for a starter kit;
  • brewed that day;
  • asked this board 75 times is my beer ruined;
  • RDWHA Micro Brew;
  • rinse & repeat;
and have at least 8 batches done in the same time frame.

Congrats BTW menschmaschine.

I'm still a newbie at this (I've brewed two extract kits so far) and the thought of jumping straight into partial mash or all grain is a scary prospect for me. I'm still pondering whether or not I want to "step up" from an extract kit to a brewers best kit where you have to steep grains and hop the wort yourself.

I think starting small has to be the best idea with this hobby.

olllllo said:

Actually, I had so much fun studying it and building the system (anticipation!) that on my first brew day, I worried that actually brewing it wouldn't be as fun. At the end of the day (12 hours later!), I realized that was one of the most rewarding days of my life (hobby-wise).

menschmaschine said:
Actually, I had so much fun studying it and building the system (anticipation!) that on my first brew day, I worried that actually brewing it wouldn't be as fun. At the end of the day (12 hours later!), I realized that was one of the most rewarding days of my life (hobby-wise).

Which was a good fit for you. I'm just pointing out the flip side.
:mug:

glad to see everyones opinions. i think i might mix and match to create my own "starter kit"

look for a post by the weekend listing everything i could think of. then i'll ask you all to add or subtract to the list :)

olllllo said:
For the sake of discussion, one could:
  • walk into a LHBS;
  • plunked down $ for a starter kit;
  • brewed that day;
  • asked this board 75 times is my beer ruined;
  • RDWHA Micro Brew;
  • rinse & repeat;

Congrats BTW menschmaschine.
I second that. I started in April of this year doing extract and went allgrain after 2 extracts and 2 partials. Probably have well over 15 brews under my belt including 3 or 4 of my own reciepes. Two of which royally sucked lol, but I learned valuable lessons on every batch. My attitude is complete learn from doing. I'm not a cheapskate like some other brewer's so the way I think is to try a reciepe, if it sucks and my primaries are full ( i got beer on the way)-dump it and brew another (Ive only had to dump 2). This method is not for everyone I just tend to go balls to the wall on any hobby I have and from reading some of the other regular's who post on this forum I think alot of the other brewers who have been at it for awhile are the same way. Bottom line if it sucks, brew another one:rockin: . And I think that it is probably possible to do all grain right of the get go (i probably couldn't of), when you get down to it the step consists of dumping water and grain in a cooler and letting it sit for an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim
I was going to do an AG but I'm on my own teaching 20-30 with no experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
You're teaching 20-30 people and have never done this before? Seems like a REALLY bad idea. You should get a couple of sessions under your belt before trying to show others - even if it's just extract.

I think there was a misunderstanding here. Allow me to add a couple words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim++
I was going to do an AG but I'm on my own teaching 20-30, none of whom have any experience.

Quote from Thalon
*said in Edgar-suit voice* There. Is that better?

Thanks Thalon you saved me some typing. I have 50 batches under my belt, 30AG and the thought of having brewing buddies is what got me into doing this. I fiqured I'd do 2 kits and take my AG equipment to show everyone the next step should they decide to progress.
I also just discovered that the day of the brew is also the day of the Farmers market in the same parking lot, so I should have a good crowd!!!!:ban:

Back