Why not? Ferment Cider in Store Container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
The more I think about it, why not ferment in the container it came in. Its not like pouring it in my plastic buckets is an upgrade in sanitation, cleanliness. I probably lose plenty of air under those bucket lids to boot. Thoughts?

I was watching a pro brewer clean kegs on a machine. The keg was upside down and I asked him if they open them and scrub. He said, oh heck no. All that would do is unsanitize them.

Container,,wow really love the outside keg thinking..

The more I think about it, why not ferment in the container it came in. Its not like pouring it in my plastic buckets is an upgrade in sanitation, cleanliness. I probably lose plenty of air under those bucket lids to boot. Thoughts?
If doing 1gal at a time, its fine. But I'd rather do 1 5-gl rather than 5 1-gal.

Need more space to add yeast, for aeration, and for foam/krausen.
I know right. But I feel I keep pouring too much out. After many attempts, have not noticed large beer like krausen. Very small krausens on these. Another plus, very little head space!

Here is a batch I pitched earlier today. With these new desigend containers I will have the difficult task of pouring these "gently" into the keg with the handle after stabilization. To me, the krausen looks really clean and nice.
Screenshot_2018-12-01-23-30-37.png
20181201_232736.jpg

You don't even need to add yeast. Pour a bit out to make room for foam, put a balloon on the top, poke a hole in it, and let Mother Nature ferment it for you.

Some cider I had in a fridge did a wild ferment after a couple weeks. Blew the tops off the bottles and made a mess.

38662817645_59e1275030_z.jpg

I do this a lot. Or use old milk jugs. For small batch experiments anyway. If doing 3 gallons or more I'll use a carboy of course. Using milk jugs makes transferring to secondary VERY easy... just pour it straight over.

Remember that "pouring gently into a keg" will oxidize the heck out of your cider. You should get a mini-siphon to transfer the cider.
I was wondering about that. I have a siphon. My racking skills suck. I have never been very good at that part of brewing. Not disagreeing at all, could you help me understand better the less oxidation in siphon vs pour. Would be nice to go lodo with these. Even though my actions show different, I like the idea of low oxygen brewing a lot. Also if I ferment under pressure doesn't that mean that it gets carbonated at the same, I like the idea of that, too.

Wonder if these plastic jugs could hold pressure. Maybe a burp here and there. So then I'm buying the juice putting the homemade top on with a pressure relief valve and could I be having my cake and eating it too for once!

Last edited:
Wonder if these plastic jugs could hold pressure. Maybe a burp here and there. So then I'm buying the juice putting the homemade top on with a pressure relief valve and could I be having my cake and eating it too for once!

Super easy way to make a pressure release valve on these jugs:

1) tape together 4 quarters
2) make a loop of double-sided tape, and attache quarter stack to jug lid
3) loosen lid slightly

And voila! you have a simple airlock. works like a charm.

That kind of plastic jug is somewhat permeable to gas exchange with air outside, so might not be best for longer term storage.

Wait a minute, first a hydrometer and now close tranferring s..ty juice. What is happening to me because of homebrewtalk! :)

Funny thing happened to me with apple cider...store bought never fermented ..apple cider without any chemicals added did. I learned that from the Jeep I bought from a apple orchard along with three gallons of cider and a 4 day drive.. I drank the first one pretty quick. The others left in the Jeep overnight with freezing temps..Next day I only drank the ice inside the jug... I left the thrid jug in the Jeep for about tst weeks .It was freezing Montana weather...when i got around to it..it was very good and had some ABV to it..must have been some wild yeast..

Try this when you finish the fermentation ..freeze it .Dump the ice ..freeze it . dump the ice.... I believe that it is called freeze distilling..

thats exactly what people do with the whole food organic juice that comes in the 1 gallon glass jugs. pour a bit off the top, pitch your yeast and pop on the sanitized stopper with airlock and let it fly.

makes pretty good cider too, but eventually you will want to make bigger batches than 1 gallon

You know if you buy a jug of unpasteurized & unstabilized Cider you can just loosen the cap and put it in the back of your fridge. If will slowly ferment and after a few months just siphon it off the lees.

You know if you buy a jug of unpasteurized & unstabilized Cider you can just loosen the cap and put it in the back of your fridge. If will slowly ferment and after a few months just siphon it off the lees.
Does that come out like a sour? Sounds interesting, cool. More tips please.

Back