Why mix LME and DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogicBomb

Reaction score
I see this in extract recipes all the time and I genuinely don't understand why you would use a certain poundage of LME then throw in some different poundage of DME. Especially when the LME/DME are the same (Pale, for example).

Wouldn't it be easier all round to just stick to a single format?

My LHBS seems to have pretty fresh LME and it's a lot cheaper than the DME they sell and am genuinely curious if there is a good reason not to just go all LME?

I don't think I have a direct answer for you, but from experience, LME is only sold in the larger packaging, 3 and 6lbs, maybe larger. And it's not really easy to measure out additional. I have used DME to supplement the LME, an extra pound or 2 to bump up ABV or help dry it out a bit. The other thing, the LME can produce the "extract twang" on occasion. Some may prefer to use the DME to avoid that. Also, you don't have to worry about scorching the DME as you do the LME, and again its a little easier to handle if you want to add a little DME to the beginning of the boil to help with hop utilization and then add all of the LME at flameout.

Don't know if that's an accurate answer you were looking for, but some reasons why I would use both.

Substituting DME for LME
When substituting dry malt extract for liquid malt extract (or vise-versa) remember that it is a 4-to-5 ratio (dry to liquid). For example, if your recipe calls for 4 lbs. dry malt extract, but you'd rather use liquid, you'll want to use 5 lbs. instead.

Malt Extract Gravities in 1 Gallon of Water
1 pound of Dried Malt Extract dissolved in one gallon of water = 1.045 SG
1 pound of liquid Malt Extract dissolved in one gallon of water = 1.035 SG

It could be psychological and comforting. No one wants a recipes that says take a huge amount of homogeneous prefab instant crap of dubious origin and add water. I, and I think the recipe writers, would like to believe a pound of pilsin DME to six pounds of a pale LME Munich LME mix makes some difference to the outcome even though it probably doesn't.

That and available quanities.

I don't think there is a good variety of DMEs available. It may be impossible to find a particular grain extract in dry form. (Don't quote me since I haven't really shopped for extract in a number of years...)

And DME is also lighter in color due to the processing method, so it's possible that the people who write the recipe just use as much DME as the recipe will allow for because it generally comes out closer to the AG color in the end. I think it's comparable in price once you factor the weight conversions.

For a lot of people it is mainly a convenience thing. LME usually comes in 3.3 lb cans and is more convenient to use as a base then bags of DME. A recipe will usually call for 2 cans of LME but that may not get you to your target gravity. It is more convenient measure out and add enough DME to get you to your target gravity. It is more convenient to store an opened bag of DME then an opened can of LME.

LME is cheaper but usually comes in 3.3 lb containers. The DME is used to suppliment the rest of the fermentables because it is easier/less messy to measure out and open containers of DME store better.

In my opinion I would go all DME for flavor/color reasons. It is just not cost efficient. For example, using prices I was able to find on morebeer for ultralight LME and light DME with 6 lbs LME being $17.10 and 4.8lbs of DME (buying in 3 lb bags) costs $21.20 for just the 4.8lbs.

Back