Why leave the corn in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codywatkins

Reaction score
Making my first mash to distill. It’s just a corn and sugar mash. Why and how important is it to leave the corn in the fermenting mash. Thanks.

If you're fermenting corn, you probably want to convert the starches in it to sugars, either by mashing with malted grains of sufficient diastatic power or by adding enzymes.

I always ferment with the corn in I like the flavor better that way. That said many people do it the other way. I do a sour mash so I am using a portion of my corn over and over again. Try it one way then go the other way next time. The great thing about this hobby is a little trial and error never hurts. Long as you learn to make your cuts, and don't drink the first few ounces of poison you run, the sky's the limit. I would use barley or enzymes as the above mentioned. It would be a shame not to wring out all the sugar and flavor that corn has to offer.

Back