Why isn't my beer lighter in color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loodachris

12th man loud and proud!
Reaction score
So I got the Clone brews book from the library and decided to make a lager. At random I picked the "Tafel Pilsner Lager" for those who might have the book. Went down to the home brew supply store and told them I wanted it to be light in color and showed them the recipe but again I get the same amber color when I transfer it to the secondary carboy. Could someone please explain to me why this is. I used extra light dme and german light crystal malt if that helps?

IMG5482-X2.jpg

Well, for one, using DME you're not going to get a really light colored beer out of those. For another, you have to take the volume of your vessel into account. It's going to look darker in a larger volume than it will in a smaller one.

In other words, relax.

Ditto on the "it looks darker in the larger vessel" comment. A carboy full of lager beer wont look like a glass of lager beer. It will appear darker.

Thanks for the reply. What else could I use other then DME? This is my 3rd batch I have made but my first lager.

The best way to produce a lighter beer using extract is to add most of the extract 10-15 mins from the end of the boil. But you will still have a hard time producing extremely light colored beer unless you switch to all grain.

Could be that pink wall is making your beer look amberish also crystal malts give your beer some color. If you want a lightish golden beer try using pale malt and extra light DME.

I can't believe I didn't think about the "it looks darker in the larger vessel"

I need to learn how to do the all grain brewing for my next batch. Time to start looking for processed and recipes. Thanks for the comments!

I'll try the pale malt next time but I did use the extra light DME for this batch. I put the carboy on the counter behind a white wall just to see and no change.

Try adding the bulk or your extract late. Like in the last 15 mins of boils or even after flameout. This will keep it from caramelizing and getting darker. You can also do a stovetop partial mash and add all of your extract late. Either way will help achieve a lighter colored beer.

I usually wait to make another batch but looks like i need to try some things sooner :)

Still, judging from the picture I'd say it should be rather light once in glass?
I have a beer in 1.5L bottles at the moment that looks pretty much like that, but when poured it's nice and light. And my "large vessel" is very small compared to yours.

It's actually burnt orange according to the wife but looked pink because the sunset light coming in from the window made it look pink ;)

Back