Why is reefer called 420?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter_craig

Reaction score
I'm 41 years Old and smoked quite a few in the day. But since becomeing a firefighter and the piss test thing I've been so clean I could drive a school bus
(and a fire truck for that matter!).

I've seen reefer called 420 lately. What gives. When I was a stoner we had a day that everyone would spark one. Was it April 20th at 4:20pm? Is that the link?

Woooooooooooooooo.............................Dude!
Anyway I hope it does become leagal and that way the taxes generated could pay for a new war or 2. Thats if the republicans get another 4 years! Ha!

who the hell calls it reefer? ahahaha

I guess I just dated myself!
I wish I had a few pics handy of me back in highshool!
I was the typical stoner. Long hair, Permed. Concert t-shirts were thee norm. Bell bottoms. ALWAYS stoned. I loved to wake and bake! Oh-well. I sure do miss the days.
I would still do it if I wouldn't get in trouble/lose my job. A few friends of mine still do.

.............you are freakin out....man...man..man...an..an.n.n.n

I've never called reefer 420....In my college years we were known to indulge around 4:20 pm...and on april 20th we'd have a big party....but never called the herb itself 420.....

funny thing i learned but most of you probably know.....hops is something like the sister plant to marijuana....least thats what they're preaching at the Magic Hat Brewery.

Professor Frink said:
Littering and...

Littering and....

trailer_07.jpg

bigjohnmilford said:
thanks for doing the work for me. :mug:

No problem! :rockin: I was just too lazy to type it all myself this morning (pre-coffee time) so I cheated and went with a link instead! :mug:

fermenator said:
No problem! :rockin: I was just too lazy to type it all myself this morning (pre-coffee time) so I cheated and went with a link instead! :mug:

I'm too computer challenged to put anything but a link in. Thanks again :mug:

The snopes explanation is correct. My wife's older brother knew one of the kids at San Rafael HS who coined it.

:cool: Last year I made a brew I called Zappa's Brownie Hempen Ale (it's a brown ale) that had two oz's of roasted "hemp" seeds @ 30 min. in the boil. Damn it is tasty! I'm trying to get a friend to put an x-tra plant in to try some other ideas.

Don't mean to be a buzz kill, but if Zappa is a reference to Frank, it is in error. He was clean. The guys in his band and the roadies however,...

If this was not an FZ reference, never mind.

arturo7 said:
Don't mean to be a buzz kill, but if Zappa is a reference to Frank, it is in error. He was clean. The guys in his band and the roadies however,...

If this was not an FZ reference, never mind.
Might be referring to Dweezel..I'm pretty sure he was a toker at one time. Though traveling around playing his dad's music He probably gave it up just so he could concentrate.

I sent arturo7 the image I used for the label and it is FZ. I can't seem to link the image from my pictures to here, maybe he(?) can? It's probably a cig he is smoking but I just liked the image and it worked well for me. I would not intentually insinuate that someone did something they didn't on purpose. But now ya got me thinking... Dweezel Me Mead!?!

dexter_craig said:
I guess I just dated myself!
I wish I had a few pics handy of me back in highshool!
I was the typical stoner. Long hair, Permed. Concert t-shirts were thee norm. Bell bottoms. ALWAYS stoned. I loved to wake and bake! Oh-well. I sure do miss the days.
I would still do it if I wouldn't get in trouble/lose my job. A few friends of mine still do.

"Son, have you re-habilitated yourself?"

.....hops is something like the sister plant to marijuana....

Funny story.

A brewing friend of mine and I decided we were going to smoke some hops a few months ago. He got busted DUI & gets tested all the time, so he can't smoke weed anymore, and I've never tried it at all. I work in healthcare, so it could cost me big time if I got caught.

Anyway, he gives me the pipe, right. So, I took a couple of huge drags off it and didn't feel anything. It sure made me cough, though. Finally I decided I was going to try it "one last time" and if I didn't feel anything I was done with it. So, I take in a HUGE drag off the pipe and instantly barfed all over his floor.:confused: Him & his wife just kinda sat there looking at me like WTF?!?!? It was pretty hilarious. That was the first & last time I smoked hops.

:off: I worked in a trauma center for about 3 years and I never met a patient who got high on marijuana and then got in a car and killed somebody. I don't smoke it myself, but I really don't see what the big deal is......

We never called refeer "420", but we would tell each other that it was 4:20 around the non-smokers. They'd look at their watches and say, "no it's not, it's 5:15". Those in the know would laugh and we'd each get away as soon as possible. Throughout high school I was a part of my local Parish Youth Group. We put together a top notch haunted house each year to raise money for our activities for the year. The haunted house was in an old building behind an old grade school. When the 4:20 call came out, we would convein at a statue of Mary and Jesus around the corner. So we called ourselves "The Desciples". Yep, I know, I'm going to hell.

hops is something like the sister plant to marijuana

Yes, close enough that you can cross-graft them. The chemical composition of the active ingredients is radically different.

Latest posts

Back