Why is my OG so high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoffman565

Reaction score
This is the 2nd batch in a row when my calibrated OG is WAY higher than what the recipe states it should be. This time it was with a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone recipe. The OG estimate was 1.069. I plugged in all my ingredients into Beersmith and this number was confirmed. However, I took a reading and it was 1.080 @ 83 degrees F (which calibrated should be 1.083 I think).

I had 3.5 lbs. of grain (1 lb. of Caramel 90L and 2.5 lbs of 2-row) soaked between 150-160 degrees for 45 minutes as well as 7 lbs of extra pale liquid malt extract.

Any ideas?

Andrew

When using liquid extract, you have to stir till it hurts to get an accurate hydrometer reading. It takes an unbelievable amount of stirring to get it properly mixed.

The 1.083 was "post boil"......does that matter?

Was it 5 gallons? For 5 gallons with that much grain and extract you should be, by my calculations around 1.067...No matter what you're getting 1.050 from the extract, the rest is from the grains and I doubt you got 33 points from 3.5 lbs of grain more like 17 if you get 70% efficiency, which is doubtfull even.

did you add 5 gallons of water and then add the extract? The volume of the extract can effect the OG especially if you're using LME-

You didn't mix it enough or somehow otherwise got a faulty reading. Don't worry about it the numbers don't lie. It's impossible to get 1.083 with the known amounts of extract/grains and water but very easy to get a wrong reading.

Thats 130% efficiency. Its taken me a while to master a hydrometer, I've found getting the most consistent results come from spinning the hydrometer to get any bubbles off of it, to have the testing vessel on a level surface, and to let it sit for 5 minutes to settle on where ever it wants to settle.

We are missing some info here. How much volume did you boil? The full 5 gallons, or less and then topped off with water? I am assuming that you boiled 2 to 3 gallons and then topped up with water, which would go back to the first comment I made that it takes an unbelievable amount of stirring to properly mix a concentrated wort with water to get an accurate reading. As others have said, I would assume that your OG is in the 1.069 area, with the fermentables that you have in your recipe, it really is nearly impossible to have a true reading much higher than that.

Sorry, I dropped off the face of the earth for a while...

I boiled about 4 1/4 gallons which went down to about 3 1/2 post boil. I then topped off with water.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the gravity is much higher because my top-off water & boiled wort mixture wasn't thoroughly mixed? Can one simply shake the crap out of the fermenter?

Thanks,
Andrew

Just so you all didn't think I was *drinking* too much beer during brew day...I had the forethought to take a picture.

HighGravity.jpg

Shaking the crap out of the fermenter never hurts. :D Mixes and oxygenates at the same time. If the fermenter asks you to stop shaking it, its probably mixed good enough ;)

also test your hydrometer in some distilled water to make sure it is accurate.

Back