Why is my beer hazy with hop particles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osakarocks

Reaction score
Hi! I registered just so I could see if anyone has some clue about this. I've been brewing for many years and have never had this issue. After around 6 weeks or so in the keg, my beer is very hazy – but it isn't yeast. It's hops. It's undrinkable due to hop burn. I added biofine when I initially cold crashed, then after 2 weeks, I added more biofine – but nothing works. It's like a hoppy milkshake. Anyone else ever have this problem? Btw, there's no foul taste at all – it isn't infected.

Hi! I registered just so I could see if anyone has some clue about this. I've been brewing for many years and have never had this issue. After around 6 weeks or so in the keg, my beer is very hazy – but it isn't yeast. It's hops. It's undrinkable due to hop burn. I added biofine when I initially cold crashed, then after 2 weeks, I added more biofine – but nothing works. It's like a hoppy milkshake. Anyone else ever have this problem? Btw, there's no foul taste at all – it isn't infected.

Pictures would definitely help...As clear as you can take them.

Also, recipe, brew process and fermenation process will also help us figure out the mystery!

Thanks Sammy! Here are a couple photos I took just now.

Grain bill:
  • 7# Great Western 2-row
  • 3# Vienna
  • 1/2# CaraPils
  • 1.5 cups table sugar (about 1/2 lb)

Hops:
  • 2.3 oz Newport
  • 1.7 Oz. Citra, 1.2 Oz. Chinook, 2.1 Oz. Idaho 7 - at 178
  • 5 oz Idaho 7 - at 70

Yeast: US-05 (NOT pre-hydrated. Just dumped in.)

I use no-chill method with pressurized fermentation. Fermented for about 10 days, then closed-transfered to serving keg, waited another week or so, then biofine and cold-crash. Worth mentioning perhaps that I use a floating dip tube, so those photos are beer coming from the top of the keg.

Attachments

• IMG_5001.png
    IMG_5001.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5002.png
    IMG_5002.png
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't have transferred it to a keg or bottled it until it cleaned up in the FV. US-05 does typically finish fermentation for me before the 10 day mark, but most of the time I go almost three weeks to have everything fall out of the beer on it's own.

I don't keg, so I don't know if you can have too much trub or yeast in a keg. I'd suppose that might depend on your dip tube to draw the beer out. But yet you are using a floating tube. But that sure looks like more than just haze from hops.

I wonder if there’s some oxidation at play too. That’s very brown given your grain bill. How do you cold crash and fine? This might be irrelevant but it’s an observation.

If I read this right, your hops are in the serving keg and you are using a floating dip tube to serve from this keg? I do this and have had the rare occasion where the floaty-ball-thing disconnects from the intake of the dip tube and then the intake sinks to gently sit on top of the hops at the bottom of the keg. It then sucks up the fine hop particles from the top of the packed hops, resulting in a perennially gross pour (until the problem is fixed). Any chance this could be your problem?

Back