why is my beer always sooooo dark?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
Man..... Im on my third batch now and once again my beer is way darker than expected. This current batch has 2 cans of Pilsen extract and 1lb of DME. Am I wrong to expect this to be light or is there something that I am doing wrong? Its not even that I like light beer that much but it frustrates me that I cant make one if i try.

Try adding more water to the boil. The problem with extract brews is that the extract can caramelize more easily if you do not do a full boil.

moger777 said:
Try adding more water to the boil. The problem with extract brews is that the extract can caramelize more easily if you do not do a full boil.
Yes. For the lightest beers, full volume boils are required. As stated, Late malt extract additions will also help.

RichBrewer said:
Yes. For the lightest beers, full volume boils are required. As stated, Late malt extract additions will also help.

interesting....since the malt only needs to boil a short time for it to become sterilized. can it almost be advisable to simple boil the hops by itself for 60 minutes then at around 30min or even 15 min add the malt extracts with any of the finishing hop additions?

Dextersmom said:
interesting....since the malt only needs to boil a short time for it to become sterilized. can it almost be advisable to simple boil the hops by itself for 60 minutes then at around 30min or even 15 min add the malt extracts with any of the finishing hop additions?

The thing is that you need the malt for the hops so that the bitterness can be extracted. Plain water just don't cut it.

Another fact is that extract brewing just don't get as light as an all grain brew and the reason is that all grain brewers can use adjunts such as corn or rice to lighten the colour. As was explained, also, a full boil with AG will keep it lighter in most cases. Extract was already boiled and reduced in bulk so it will be darker anyway.

Dextersmom said:
...can it almost be advisable to simple boil the hops by itself for 60 minutes then at around 30min or even 15 min add the malt extracts with any of the finishing hop additions?

Some people have done just that. I never did that or late additions when I was brewing with extracts. I thought it best to boil as much as my stove could handle. In my case, that was 3-3.5 gallons. IMHO, I still feel that late additions give an extract twang. Like I said, just my 2 cents. Also, I always took it off the heat when I added extracts and stirred thoroughly to prevent any possibility of scorching or too much carmelization. I was able to produce some really light colored beers, too.

Liquid malt extracts will always give you dark beer. They've been cooked down to a concentrate and that results in caramalization.

Try switching your recipes to Extra Light DME and use steeping grains for flavor and color control.

Control over every aspect of brewing is one reason I switched over to all grain...so I could brew this...

HappyFri_4.jpg

BierMuncher said:
Liquid malt extracts will always give you dark beer. They've been cooked down to a concentrate and that results in caramalization.

Try switching your recipes to Extra Light DME and use steeping grains for flavor and color control.

Control over every aspect of brewing is one reason I switched over to all grain...so I could brew this...

View attachment 4332

You went to all grain to brew Budweiser?:D ;)

Back