Why is my AG wort so cloudy when boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDeepDarkDerp

Reaction score
So I have just started doing all grain BIABs. I have found that my wort is always so cloudy and full of floaty things. Is this because my grind is to fine?

1412834994809.jpg

It could possibly have to do with the grind, but more probable is the bag your are using to steep the grains in. It might be letting more particulate out than you want which could be causing the cloudiness. When you remove the steeping grains, do you squeeze the bag to get all the liquid out of it? This could be another contributing factor as far as cloudiness is concerned. Just make sure to use irish moss in order to help clarify the beer as well as use a spoon to make a little whirlpool before you transfer from the boil kettle to the carboy. This way the larger chunks gather in the middle of the kettle and then when you siphon out, just make sure to draw from the edges where there will be less chunks and haze. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Thank you goovaerl92 for the quick response. I'll try and get a finer mesh bag and adjust my grind to not be as fine.

If you have recently switched from extract to all grain BIAB, you can expect more cloudiness to your boiling wort. With extract, the wort already experienced the hot break once when the extract was made and you don't get much when you boil the wort you made from it. With BIAB, all the hot break material will be present and it looks really cloudy. Many people fret over how cloudy their wort is to the point that they recirculate into their conventional mash tun until the wort runs clear. That isn't the goal. The goal is clear beer and that doesn't require the wort to be clear.

With BIAB you will get more cloudy wort because you don't recirculate (lauter). IT DOESN'T MATTER!! You get more flour if you mill finer for BIAB and that leaks through the bag. IT DOESN'T MATTER!! What matters is that you get good efficiency, you get hot break, you boil off DMS, and you get the proper amount of bitterness. All that cloudiness of the wort settles out in the fermenter. give it time and you get clear beer.

Back