Why is it that my beer tastes best 2/3 through carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blarneybrew

Reaction score
This has happened twice now. Beer tastes perfect about 9 or 10 days in to force carbing, then days later the hop bitterness is a bit too strong, hop flavor drops some, and a bit of the malty character is less discernable. I used a relatively hard spring water and am moving in to 100% RO for now on. I'm guessing that other than water adjustments it actually is too bitter, and perhaps my aromatic/flavor hop additions are a bit on the late side. The serving pressure seems fine at 11-7/8 psi for a pilsner.

Anyone else notice this happen?

When you say you try to carb at low levels do you mean that your beers are lower carbed than most beers on the market (personal preference), or that you take an extra long time to get to what most beers are at?

I probably could drop the pressure some. My fridge is exceptionally frigid

+1 on the carbonation. Even in bottle carbonating some beers taste good after a few weeks and then might get bitter later, especially if the priming sugar was a bit off. A good chill conditioning in the fridge helps as long as the volumes of CO2 is really in the ballpark. Your fix is easier, just tune down the gas a bit.

Cool, thanks. I'll take down to 10 for the remaining of this keg and the next one. Maybe 9? Base malt is mostly pilsner, medium dry mouthfeel

Back