why is a little rust bad in my brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gambrewne

Reaction score
I was hoping to brew tonight, but the only large enough pot I have is an enamel pot with a little rust in 3 or 4 spots on the bottom, equivalent to the size of maybe 3 dimes. I read in a few posts here that rust ruins your brew pot, but I havent read exactly why. If its really ruined Im guessing it means I shouldnt boil any wort in it?? is it health reasons? off flavors?? something else?? please help!

I always thought that if you have holes in the enamel, the pot might be about to fail... do you want all that hot wort over your kitchen? You might be lucky, but I'd consider getting a new pot!

You could possibly get some off flavors in your beer from it, and certain metal oxides aren't good for you, but I think the bigger concern is actually ruining your brewpot. After a while, the rust spots will erode completely through the pot, helped along by the fact that wort has the pH level that it does.

It could make your beer taste metallic, definitely not pleasant. Sounds like it's a good excuse to pick up a SS or aluminum kettle.

You could possibly get some off flavors in your beer from it, and certain metal oxides aren't good for you, but I think the bigger concern is actually ruining your brewpot. After a while, the rust spots will erode completely through the pot, helped along by the fact that wort has the pH level that it does.

Yeah, either that or your winky shrivels.... can't remember which.

Back