Why I haven't brewed lately

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
kitchenhole.jpg

Everyone wants to know though... really, why did you have to take out the subflooring? Looks like you have quite a big job ahead of you there!

Wow, that's some quick photoshop work there.

One of the darn joists cupped bad and caused the subfloor to bulge 3/8 high down the entire length. I'm tiling so I had to fix it or I wouldn't be able to live with it.

Then tile, then all the Kraftmaid cabinets that are currently crowding my brew area will be moved in.

I'm really surprised you can get that to fit in a single-wide trailer, er, sorry "mobile home"...yeah, one that NEVER goes anywhere...:drunk:

Are you sure that's "Piscataway" and not "Tookaway" NJ???

Oh, wait...Pissedthataway...I got it now...

Man, you deserve a brew. Next round's on me when I get back that way.

(It was fun busting yer chops...)

That's me in about a month. Haven't decided if I'm going to tile the floor or not; I'm doing a practice-run in the entranceway next weekend, see if I'm any good at it! But, gutting the whole kitchen, keeping the applicances but I've got new cabinets, new countertops, adding a half-bath, changing the layout, etc.

I've done a kitchen remodel, once. Pre-staged everything, including the sink in the new countertop. Ripped down to the studs, re-powered, plumbed, new greenboard, power, etc Everything except the flooring, in two days. Had not planned on doing the walls, but they were rotted behind the cabinets.

It was a very long weekend, but three months of prep paid off.

Bad memory chills...

I have done 2 kitchens in the last 2 years, and my brother just called. He wants me to help with his now.

Looks good Bobby. What are you doing for countertop?

It's hard to brew while standing in the kitchen staring at a hole with your hands in your pockets.;) That sounds like the name of a pearl jam song.

Sweet! I know it will turn out great. Putting in a really good gas stove for when it is too freakin cold outside and you wanna do a stove-top boil?

Cabinets: Kraftmaid Maple Cathedral Arch full overlay.
Tops: 95% sold on Sensa granite, no sealing with a 15 year no stain warranty. If not, Silestone for an extra $15 a sqft...ouch.

The appliances are a toss up because my white stove and dishwasher are only 6 years old and in decent shape. On the other hand, the fridge compressor quit so I already have to replace that.... not sure yet.

BTW, if anyone is thinking about tiling a high traffic messy area in the near future, do yourself a favor and spring for epoxy grout. Not only does the color match the swatch 100%, but stains just wipe off.

kitchenhole.jpg

Fits Perfectly!

Rotate that pic a littlebit, take out the floor joists, and drop that baby in there - I give you levitating brew rig - it levitates by the power of the batcave under the subfloor

Our Canadian stimulus includes a grant of 15% tax relief for renos up to $10,000. Since SWMBO has me rebuilding the entire house a little bit at a time anyway, we'll be doing our kitchen too. My job includes removing a load bearing wall. Oh joy.

Anyway, good job, Bobby. Keep posting pics so we can see how you do.

BTW, if anyone is thinking about tiling a high traffic messy area in the near future, do yourself a favor and spring for epoxy grout. Not only does the color match the swatch 100%, but stains just wipe off.

I just used epoxy grout when renovating my bathroom - the stuff is great.

Cabinets: Kraftmaid Maple Cathedral Arch full overlay.

Where'd you order/purchase those cabinets from? I believe I have the same type of cabinets (ordered through Home Depot) as those. We have maple cabinets with the praline finish, and I'm really happy with them. Those are nice cabinets and feel really sturdy.

I got them through Lowes and now that no one is spending money, the lead time was only 4 weeks (last year it was 8-9). I actually got Praline with Mocha highlight. Lowes beat two other local dealers by more than $1200 because they had a free sink base plus 10% off.

Note, the cabinets you see in the pic are NOT the ones I'm installing. Those are probably going in the brewery...aka, garage.

seems like the perfect time to make a sanyo kegerator perminent in the kitchen, or any kegerator

Ya I just did my kitchen 2 years ago. I just LOVE it! Brought in gas to the kitchen, stainless everything, natural stone flooring, do yourself a favor install a ”Pot filler" behind the stove, you'll love it. Buy scratch and dent appliances and save yourself a fortune!

The pot filler sounds good, but it's easy carrying a pot of cold water. What we need is a pot sucker. Complete with spaghetti strainer. Now THAT would be cool.

I have never heard one nice thing about ordering cabinets through lowes or home depot

Yeah, I've ordered cabinets for two different kitchens through Home Depot and had really good experience. The cabinet were really nice and I couldn't complain about one bit. Home Depot service (as of late) and countertops, now that's a different story.

Yeah, I've ordered cabinets for two different kitchens through Home Depot and had really good experience. The cabinet were really nice and I couldn't complain about one bit. Home Depot service (as of late) and countertops, now that's a different story.

Problems with the countertops? We've been planning on ordering our countertops through Depot, they've got what we want, so I'm curious what your experience had been...

I would imagine problems with HD or Lowes cabinet orders would be in their design service. My initial run in with them wasn't positive. The guy took my very detailed drawing and told me he'd work up a few designs in their software and have them ready when I came in for an appointment. I showed up at said time and he was still with his previous client. After waiting 30 minutes, he had me sit down while he STARTED drawing up a design. I just walked out. After that, I downloaded the Kraftmaid catalogs and made up my own list of parts. I later realized that the designers have a much more detailed book and I sat down with my wife at the store to make sure we didn't miss any particular option per piece. It was a PITA but it's the only way to control what you're getting.

I'd think on the countertop front, it's all about the subcontractor they hire.

Problems with the countertops? We've been planning on ordering our countertops through Depot, they've got what we want, so I'm curious what your experience had been...

I bought and had installed Zodiac (Quartz) countertops from Lowes. They did a great job. I love them.

Back