why has my wort stopped producing CO2 after 3rd day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewheim

Reaction score
this is my first batch. its from extract. i did everything i was supposed to do except i let the wort drop below 60 degrees. ive heated it back up and saw some more bubbling, but now its started to really slow down again. it only starts bubbling now if i swirl it around a bit. please help.

Some yeasts will act fast. What yeast did you use? Did you take gravity readings? I have seen fermintations visually stop after 2 days - depends on the yeast. What temp did you heat it back up to?

i used the yeast that came with the extract. i dont have the gravity thing yet, this is only my first batch. i heated it back up to around 78. and it starts bubbling again with a little swirling of the bucket. is this a no-no? and should i still wait til the 7 day period is up before bottling?

78 degrees is a bit high. I would let it come down to 68 - 70 and let it sit while you get a hydrometer. You should be able to pick one up for less than $10. Your OG should be fine, since you used extract, but you will not know what your FG is unless you measure it. Swirling the yeast back into suspension if fine. I am sure that your beer finished and you did not know it. What was the temp of your wort when you pitched your yeast?

OG - original gravity
fg - finishing gravity

Mid 70's is fine. It will not hurt the yeast. I usually pitch at 68 - 70.

Get that temp down to 68 -70. Chances are you're finished, especially if you've already given it a swirl. Don't do that anymore. You don't want to splash around.

If you can get a hydrometer, that is best. Otherwise I'd just leave it in your primary for a full week and into the secondary for two and then bottle.

OG= original gravity
FG= final gravity

you need to know these to see if your yeast turned your sugar into alcohol. In other words to see if fermentation took place. You can get the OG and FG with a Hydrometer. You'll also be able to find out the alcohol content.

You need a hydrometer....it's like building a house without a tape measure...it may come out alright, but...you get the point.

Back