Why fill a cylinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Why siphon off to test SG? I've always (for about a dozen batches) just sanitized my hydrometer and dropped it gently into primary to test. Is there something I'm missing? It just seems simpler and I don't waste half a beer. I guess I'm waiting to hear a "I don't understand why this beer was contaminated, the only thing I did different was test SG in the bucket" story. I've just never read that anyone does it like me.

yeah, most people dont use a bucket. or they eventually "graudate" to a carboy. it doenst work if you do it that way. it would work fine to drop it in the bucket though! thats +1 for bucket brews!

Since I only check the sg after primary is over, it's easy for me to sanitize a turkey baster and pull out a sample and then I taste it. I also take another sg right before I keg or bottle, so that's only twice. I also think it's easier to read it when it's out of the bucket and in the sample jar- I can easily see it and read it at eye level. It's not have a beer I'm "losing" (I'm drinking it anyway), it's more like a couple of ounces.

you won't hurt anything by dropping into the beer, though. I do that more often with wine.

Well I know there's still quite a few of us out there using the pail, but I guess we're too shy to admit!:D Glad I'm not missing something. When I can finally upgrade to glass for more than the secondary I'll be up to speed. Thanks.

I've actually heard of several people who just sanitize the hydrometer and drop it in the bucket. I usually only test my gravity before pitching, transferring to secondary, or kegging or bottling. I always prefer to take a sample of the brew to see how it's coming along at these points.

It would be hard to read the hydrometer accurately from looking down, if you put it in the bucket. If the hydrometer jar is taking too much beer, just make 4 more oz. next time.

And I still use my buckets. They are easy, cheap and don't break.

cuinrearview said:
Why siphon off to test SG? I've always (for about a dozen batches) just sanitized my hydrometer and dropped it gently into primary to test. Is there something I'm missing? It just seems simpler and I don't waste half a beer. I guess I'm waiting to hear a "I don't understand why this beer was contaminated, the only thing I did different was test SG in the bucket" story. I've just never read that anyone does it like me.

ummmm...so I can drink some

Good reasons have been brought up. From this forum and others I've read over the years I always figured it was a sanitation thing. Seems it's all technical. That puts me at ease a bit. I'm a "function over form" type of guy. I really don't have any issues with brewing as long as my beer is tasty. This one has just always puzzled me.

I'll draw from a previous post today:

BierMuncher said:
You might get a false reading.

Depending upon how far along your fermenation is, excessive CO2 in the beer can cause two problems at once:

Initially, because of the high concentration of gas in the liquid, the hydrometer will sink lower than normal.

Then...CO2 bubbles will begin to collect on the hydrometer and cause it to float at an artificially high level.

A proper hydro reading (in my mind) involves letting the hydrometer flask sit for 2-3 minutes to allow CO2 to escape so you have a "flat" wort. Then dropping in the hydromter and "bumping" it a few times to knock off any CO2 bubbles that attach themselves.

Plus, I like to drink the samples... :D

I second the thief. I put the hydrometer in the thief and take my sample. I can either touch the side of the carboy and drain back into the batch or drink it. I prefer to drink it.:D

Back