why drink the sample?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

toularat

Reaction score
Hi. When you take a hydrometer reading, why do you drink that sample? Since everything is sanitized, why can't you pour it back in the batch?

just wondering. . .

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It's a good practice to develop an understanding of where your beer is throughout the process - what unfermented wort tastes like, what uncarbonated, green beer going into the bottles/keg tastes like, etc. Good information to have in case you've got concerns or problems in the future (like, you're worried that you accidentally added an extra quarter-ounce of hops, you don't freak out just because the sample you pulled post-boil is really bitter).

Pogo

Reaction score
toularat -

Most importantly...

Returning the gravity sample back to the fermenter offers absolutely zero health benefits to one's internal organs and processes!

Cheers!

Pogo

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't bother sanitizing my hydrometer or jar when I take samples...
Me neither...only what I use to draw out the sample...

Then I tip it back after the reading an enjoy!!!

The bird said it best, I think;

It's a good practice to develop an understanding of where your beer is throughout the process - what unfermented wort tastes like, what uncarbonated, green beer going into the bottles/keg tastes like, etc. Good information to have in case you've got concerns or problems in the future (like, you're worried that you accidentally added an extra quarter-ounce of hops, you don't freak out just because the sample you pulled post-boil is really bitter).

JWHooper

Reaction score
I only sample enough to get a buzz.

So far my cherry wine samples the best by far.

nostalgia

Reaction score
I only sample enough to get a buzz.
"Gosh, I don't understand why I only get 12 bottles from a 5 gallon batch of beer. All I did was take a few hydrometer samples..." :tank:

I taste mine because I like to know how the beer is progressing. I drink the rest because it's beer. And it's already in my hand.

-Joe

JWHooper

Reaction score
If you do it right, you don't have to bother with the labor and expense of bottling at all. All you need is a 44 oz. wine thief and some pretzels.