Why doesn't mine taste like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derogg

Reaction score
I just drank a bottle of Weihenstephaner hefe weissbier. Both of my AG hefe beers did not have as great of a flavor. The first was kinda a total flop, because I missed my OG , so it was a bit watery. The second taste better, but it just did not taste or smell like the good German brands.

I used 5 pounds German pilsner malt and 5 pounds German wheat both times with WLP Hefe IV yeast. The starter on my second batch smelled great, but I just did not get a good hefe yeast flavor in the batch.I fermented at high 60's to low 70's.

I am not going to give up. Next time I will try a different yeast. What else can I try to get that great flavor and smell we all love in hefeweizen? Thanks- Dirk

My Hefe recipe uses Weihenstephan yeast and is pretty much spot on. One tasty Bavarian Hefe. Be sure to ferment at 67-68 degrees.

I think I'll drink another. :D

I brewed a hefe this summer and have but two bottles left. :(

I used wyeast 3038 and this beer was my first attempt at a decoction. It turned out better than I had ever expected! The color was spot on and the smell and flavor had the fruity esters that you would expect. IMO, fermentation temps are crucial with hefes in getting the taste and aroma that you are loking for. I, like Ed, kept the temps at 67-68 degrees.

P.S. Thanks to Barron for his help via the messenger with this beer and the questions I had with my first decoction.

Cookiebaggs said:
I brewed a hefe this summer and have but two bottles left. :(

I used wyeast 3038 and this beer was my first attempt at a decoction. It turned out better than I had ever expected! The color was spot on and the smell and flavor had the fruity esters that you would expect. IMO, fermentation temps are crucial with hefes in getting the taste and aroma that you are loking for. I, like Ed, kept the temps at 67-68 degrees.

P.S. Thanks to Barron for his help via the messenger with this beer and the questions I had with my first decoction.

Yep, 67-68 here as well, ambient 63, but that fermentation heats it up.

Cookiebaggs... dude, you should've had another going as soon as you cracked the FIRST bottle of your last batch!

Ó Flannagáin said:
Cookiebaggs... dude, you should've had another going as soon as you cracked the FIRST bottle of your last batch!

I know I know........I even washed the yeast! Just never got around to brewing another 10 gallons. Oh well, who says winter isn't a good time for a hefe? :p

Latest posts

Back