Why does the Krausen look like cauliflower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumathomebrew

Reaction score
I gave my nephew a demi, some grain and yeast to make a simple smash beer to get started. His first brew seemed to go well using Muntons dried yeast. (Better than mine using so4 actually).

However he tried another (of which I'll obtain further details of) and it was very syrupy after the boil. I think he added water to dilute it. This is what his Krausen looks like and he asked me what's going on.

I have no idea. Anyone got any clues? Is it well?

PHOTO-2021-02-07-12-43-16.jpg

I have had some yeast do that at fermentation start. Look scary but normal. In 2 weeks or less all will mix, change and settle. These different yeast behaviors is what I like about brewing. Nature is so cool.

Combination of things probably. Mostly the yeast I would say. I use Irish Moss like every boil and haven't ever seen that. Closest I've seen to that was 100% the yeast.

It may be something else but that'd be my experience. It is.... a little crazy looking.

This is a recent cream ale I did with US05. Not as big on this one but I have had them bigger in others,

yst1.jpg

yst2.jpg

Please realize, after we brew for a while, we do primary normally either do primary fermentation in vessels where we can't see, or we don't watch.

What you are seeing is normal fermentation. Use Wyeast 1968 and see the same.

My glass carboy broke a couple of brews ago so i switched to some brew buckets. It has been great for my nerves since i cannot see the beer now. Now i just set it and forget it and trust the process.

I have an Anvil that I only use when there is no other option. I love to see the yeast action on my glass carboys. To me that is part of the brewing process fun. I don't know why they can't make glass tops for the SS fermenters.

Back