why does boiling wort make me sleepy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boiling wort, to me, is like a campfire. You just can't stop staring into it.

Are you certain that this isn't carbon monoxide? I'd seriously consider evaluating the ventilation where you're brewing.

That was my thought too. A monitor can be had for under $30 at Lowe's or Home Depot. They're not bad to have around. I keep a couple in my house just in case.

that was my first thought, tired, too much beer but after testing it seems its the steam that comes off the boiling wort, I'm a high allergy sufferer, so could be carbon monoxide or just an bad allergy to something boiling out

I literally have to drink coffee or Ill fall asleep in the chair

If it is Carbon Monoxide you really need to get some ventilation because that's no joke.

On a less serious note, it could just be the aroma of the boiling wort. You enjoy brewing and connect it to something you like to do. It comes with an attached odor that is connected to a distinct memory. Positive memories impact your mood possibly putting you in a relaxed state of enjoyment. Same as the idea mentioned above about staring into a campfire. If you're already sensitive to odors due to allergies, you're probably more sensitive to strong odors in a positive way too.

If it is Carbon Monoxide you really need to get some ventilation because that's no joke.

On a less serious note, it could just be the aroma of the boiling wort. You enjoy brewing and connect it to something you like to do. It comes with an attached odor that is connected to a distinct memory. Positive memories impact your mood possibly putting you in a relaxed state of enjoyment. Same as the idea mentioned above about staring into a campfire. If you're already sensitive to odors due to allergies, you're probably more sensitive to strong odors in a positive way too.

I couldn't agree more if its this

I couldn't agree more if its this

carbon monoxide, DON'T GO TOWARDS THE LIGHT, STAY AWAY FROM THE LIGHT!! Seriously, it binds to red blood cells. Drink coffee and get a good ventilation system.

Any chance all these brews have a decent bittering charge? Hops have a calming effect... they are closely related to Mary Jane

I remember reading somewhere that people having difficulty falling asleep should make a "hops pillow" (a pillow stuffed with hops cones...just like it sounds :) ) The scent of hops is supposed to have a calming effect, so I imagine that same principle would apply to boiling wort!

that was my first thought, tired, too much beer but after testing it seems its the steam that comes off the boiling wort, I'm a high allergy sufferer, so could be carbon monoxide or just an bad allergy to something boiling out

I literally have to drink coffee or Ill fall asleep in the chair

Do you take an antihistamine (Benadryl, Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, etc.) when you go outside/in your garage to brew?

Do you brew in the midst of night? Do you have Benedictine monks chanting to you? Are you getting a massage? Do you have dozens of kittens purring and rubbing themselves on you? Are you a closet narcoleptic? Do you generally practice meditative yoga while brewing? Do you perhaps feel the presence of a spirit? Any ex girlfriends with voodoo dolls that have an interest in your beauty rest? LOL

Do you take an antihistamine (Benadryl, Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, etc.) when you go outside/in your garage to brew?

I would go with this too. If I take a Benadryl I'm going to fall asleep in like 20 minutes and have freaky dreams, better than allergies though. Even the other non-drowsy allergy meds make me super sleepy (and for some reason I get the munchies).

If you do have allergies that's something to think about if you are taking something for your allergies in preparation to go outside and brew.

the only thing that gets me is the steam if I breath it too long, if I stay away I'm fine so mashing, cleaning, handling grain all fine just a sleeping potion when I get over the boiling pot "must be either the hops, bad ventilation or and allergic reaction to something coming off the boil

Pretty much All the chlorine leaves solution as it comes to a boil.

Carbon filter should remove chlorine, but not chloramine. A Campden tablet per 5 gal pulls both out on contact.

The amount of chlorine released should have no effect on a person.

Back