Why do you make a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the main reason that you make a starter?

• To grow enough yeast for your batch

• To ensure viability

• To "wake the yeast up"

• Because it's fun.......

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Ok, I've been discussing the different reasons that we make yeast starters on this thread, and it has me wondering.....
I make starters to grow yeast, and don't pay much attention to pitching active yeast, as I do to pitching enough healthy yeast.
Why do you guys make starters?

With some strains they aren't as lively out of vial as others. Wyeast 2001, a favored lager strain of mine, takes about 2 days to wake up and start eating. Even if you pitched 5 bags it wouldn't have the same result.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Ok, I've been discussing the different reasons that we make yeast starters on this thread, and it has me wondering.....
I make starters to grow yeast, and don't pay much attention to pitching active yeast, as I do to pitching enough healthy yeast.
Why do you guys make starters?

I make starters for all my beer for the primary reason of ensuring I am pitching the proper rate for the beer I am brewing. I take care in making my each starter so I am growing healthy yeast up to the proper pitching rate. In addition, I crash and decant each starter and generally pitch colder and allow the wort to self rise to desired fermentation temperature for a controlled fermentation. I do use a stir plate as well and always use extra light DME and nutrient.

My answer to the poll was "To grow enough yeast for your batch", but ensuring yeast viability is just as important to me.

I don't worry too much about how much I am pitching, for me the reason for the starter is to ensure good viability and to really kick off the ferment. I pitched my Fizzy Yellow about 3 hours ago and my blowoff tube is bubbling like a Lawrence Welk show.

I also answered "All of the above." The first three are all very good reasons for making a starter but, at least for now, using my new stir plate kicks ass. SWMBO and I both get a kick out of watching it in action.

Lol.

This should be an option in voting.

Sorry, can't edit the options, I tried. :D

I'm not ashamed to say this, but that's actually a good enough reason in my book to do many things (notincludingthemonthplusprimaryforeverybeer rigamarole) in your brewery. Some may not like his style, but when I first got into this hobdiction and found this site, I learned a ton from Revvy, among others.

I figured I'd get alot of "all of the above" responses, so I left the poll a multiple choice, since all 4 are great reasons to make a starter.

Back