Why do you FWH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxtrot

Reaction score
I'm trying to wrap my head around First Wort Hopping. I've heard of these benefits: reduces perceived bitterness, increases hop flavor, reduces boil-overs. Sounds great to me, I like all of those things. My questions are:

1. Do you only use flavoring hops and choose your FWH hops accordingly?

2. How much hops do you use for FWH? Is the quantity based on flavor input or target IBUs?

3. I've heard you calc FWH IBU's for a 20 minute addition, so if I do a 90 minute boil, that's about 1/2 the IBUs, according to my spreadsheet. Sound right?

4. What does the rest of your hop schedule look like? Are you still adding some "bittering" hops at 30-60 minutes?

5. Finally, when calculating the total IBUs, are you reducing your total figure based on the 20 minute IBU adjustment, or just keeping your original figure?

Thanks in advance for answering any of the above.

I just finished brewing a Pils + Cascade SMaSH ale a couple hours ago inwhich i FWHopped for the first time so here goes...

Well, since i was making a SMaSH, i only used Cascades.

2. How much hops do you use for FWH? Is the quantity based on flavor input or target IBUs?

I used half an ounce, BeerSmith calculates the IBU's you get from it.

3. I've heard you calc FWH IBU's for a 20 minute addition, so if I do a 90 minute boil, that's about 1/2 the IBUs, according to my spreadsheet. Sound right?

Once again, BeerSmith does all my calculations

4. What does the rest of your hop schedule look like? Are you still adding some "bittering" hops at 30-60 minutes?

Mine, for a 90 min. boil, was 45 min., 30 min., 10 min., 5 min., 0 min., All half ounce additions.

5. Finally, when calculating the total IBUs, are you reducing your total figure based on the 20 minute IBU adjustment, or just keeping your original figure?

BeerSmith is a nice investment :D

I'm trying to wrap my head around First Wort Hopping. I've heard of these benefits: reduces perceived bitterness, increases hop flavor, reduces boil-overs. Sounds great to me, I like all of those things. My questions are:

Thanks in advance for answering any of the above.

I FWH a lot...

I use aroma/flavoring hops... low AA hops or noble hops... these are best. The AA utilization is pretty high, they dont recommend using bittering hops in general, and noble hops are best.

FHW'ing is generally consists of taking about 30% of your original hop qty. and moving them to FWH. This 30% comes from late addition hops only. I never change my hop qtys. for the increased utilization of the FWH, because the bitterness is percieved differently. You dont really "feel" the increase in IBU to a large degree.

I calculate my FWH as a 20 minute addition as well, works good.

I leave the rest of my hop schedule the SAME. The ONLY thing I do is move my late addition hops, to FWH... my 90 minute, 30 minute and 20 minute additions stay the same.

I calculate my FWH IBU as a 20 minute addition, I use this number, not the 90 minute number.

EDIT: I FWH becuase it gives a more rounded, complex, deep flavor/bitterness that I have come to like. Some people dont do it, some people do. Some people pay thier bills, some people dont... different strokes, different folks.

I FWH a lot...

I use aroma/flavoring hops... low AA hops or noble hops... these are best. The AA utilization is pretty high, they dont recommend using bittering hops in general, and noble hops are best.

FHW'ing is generally consists of taking about 30% of your original hop qty. and moving them to FWH. This 30% comes from late addition hops only. I never change my hop qtys. for the increased utilization of the FWH, because the bitterness is percieved differently. You dont really "feel" the increase in IBU to a large degree.

I calculate my FWH as a 20 minute addition as well, works good.

I leave the rest of my hop schedule the SAME. The ONLY thing I do is move my late addition hops, to FWH... my 90 minute, 30 minute and 20 minute additions stay the same.

I calculate my FWH IBU as a 20 minute addition, I use this number, not the 90 minute number.

EDIT: I FWH becuase it gives a more rounded, complex, deep flavor/bitterness that I have come to like. Some people dont do it, some people do. Some people pay thier bills, some people dont... different strokes, different folks.

Thanks for clarifying. I had somewhat of an idea of FWH.

Everything I need to know for my attempt at an English IPA. I'll FWH the Goldings for sure.

A thousands thank you's!

And I've been doing it wrong the whole time. I just have been dumping my first hop addition in early. Guess I should read up on the technique.

I FWH when I want a nice smooth hop flavor. I typically do 1 or 2 oz. per 5 gallons, and I don't get too worried about the IBU calculations. I've found that it's a great way to increase the flavor profile of a hop in addition to tossing in hops at 15 min.

I'll typically use mid aa% floral or citrus varieties for this.

I use what would be my flavor addition as FWH. I start by deciding how much flavor I want and decide on an amount of FWH. Then I calc mu other additions to get the IBUs I want in the finished beer. I use Promash and set the FWH utilization to -65%, which equates to 2/3 of the way through the boil. So, for a 60 min. boil Promash would calc the same amount bittering as a 20 min. addition. I had a FWH only beer analyzed for IBU and it came in almost exactly where Promash predicted it would.

I use what would be my flavor addition as FWH. I start by deciding how much flavor I want and decide on an amount of FWH. Then I calc mu other additions to get the IBUs I want in the finished beer. I use Promash and set the FWH utilization to -65%, which equates to 2/3 of the way through the boil. So, for a 60 min. boil Promash would calc the same amount bittering as a 20 min. addition. I had a FWH only beer analyzed for IBU and it came in almost exactly where Promash predicted it would.
This is what I've been doing. I only do bitterness addition(s) and late aroma additions and FWH any flavor I want (which usually is not much).

But I thought that when FWH beers were analyzed they actually 'measured' as high as one would expect from the extended boil time (and utilization)...however they only 'taste' like the 20 minute addition regarding bitterness (because it is smoother). Very possible I misunderstood this part. Can you clarify?

And I've been doing it wrong the whole time. I just have been dumping my first hop addition in early. Guess I should read up on the technique.

I've been doing it this way in my pales and ambers on purpose, and I absolutely love the way it tastes, especially in my ambers. The bitterness is still there, just different. Much smoother and the malt flavors are allowed to come through.

I think too many commercial ambers cover up what would be an awesome malt flavor by overdoing the hops. FWH'ing instead of 60 minute lets the malts shine while still providing adequate bittering IMO. To my taste buds, it is not the same as a 20 minute addition.

Calico Amber is my favorite commercial amber ale, but I fight the hops with every swallow trying to get to that awesome toffee/caramel/malty flavor that's trying to get out.

edit: All that said, it occurs to me that I've never moved my 60 minute addition to 20 minutes before. Just moved it to FWH. I guess I need to try it that way before I can stand behind my comments 100%.

But I thought that when FWH beers were analyzed they actually 'measured' as high as one would expect from the extended boil time (and utilization)...however they only 'taste' like the 20 minute addition regarding bitterness (because it is smoother). Very possible I misunderstood this part. Can you clarify?

That's correct. In my FWH experiment, I made a beer with only an oz. of Cascade as FWH and another with an oz. of the same Cascade at 60 min. When I had them analyzed, the FWH beer measured 10% more IBU than the 60 min. beer, but tasted less bitter.

Back