Why do most people use a copper dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaginger

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out my dip tube situation. I have a 1/2 weldless bulkhead going through kettle. I was thinking of just adding a stainless elbow onto that inside and pointing down toward the bottom of the kettle. Then I'll probably add a very short nipple to the elbow to get me right down to the bottom of the kettle. It will be near the wall as well, since I'm elbowing right from my bulkhead.

Is there any reason this is inferior to doing a copper dip tube and bending it near the kettle wall? Seems my way is a lot simpler and probably a few bucks cheaper. I don't solder so the simplicity is a fairly large advantage. Who can talk me out of doing it this way?

I used a copper dip tube because it's cheap, available at my local hardware store (which SS fittings are not) and I can solder.

Other than that, sounds like I'm doing the exact same thing as you, but not stainless.

diptube3.jpg

I also used my thermo port to make a whirlpool nozzle, which works a treat.

whirlpool_inside.jpg

-Joe

Yep, Most people use copper because it's cheaper than SS and simple enough to work with.
I bought a torch and learned to sweat copper for brewing and it's just a nice skill to have now, knowing if I have to repair a pipe in the house, I know how and have all the tools.

Kinda off topic, but how did you get that first picture? Did you put the camera in the bottom of the kettle?
I had my kettle gnomes take it for me. They're pretty handy with a camera. ;)

But really, I just put the camera on the bottom of the kettle, reached in and pressed the button. I put it on macro mode first so it would focus close-up.

-Joe

I had my kettle gnomes take it for me. They're pretty handy with a camera. ;)

But really, I just put the camera on the bottom of the kettle, reached in and pressed the button. I put it on macro mode first so it would focus close-up.

-Joe

Kettle gnomes FTW

DSC05017.jpg

Back