Why do i keep getting Yeast Volcanos?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
I have a kolesch yeast in my starter... It is the first time on a stir plate. I keep having issues with the starter over foaming, popping the top and dumping yeast out. Why am I getting so much foam?

It is a 1.042 OG starter, one liter of wort in a two liter flask. the stir plate is set at about 4 - just enough to make the top of the wort spin but not cave-in. If i spin it any faster the plate seems to throw the bar. I have the 50 mm bar the Northern Brewer recommended.

Yeah, that can happen especially given the narrowing neck of the flask limiting headspace. I usually don't have it happen, but on occassion I can get an overflow. Just be careful to clean up your stir plate. I had some get into the internals of my DIY stir plate and it corroded out so now it doesn't work. V 2.0 is in the works now.

Because kolsch is a big fatass of a yeast, sitting on its couch, eating sugar, and just blasting diarrhea foam all over itself.

Seriously, that strain is messy!

my yeast has diarrhea... perfect.

is this thing going to fit in a 6.5 gallon brew bucket or is it going to over flow that too once i pitch it?

The "diarrhea foam" won't be as bad if you ferment cold enough. I believe this yeast should be fermented in the low 60's.

Back