Why DME and LME in a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I've noticed that lots of extract recipes will use both LME and DME, even if they are the same kind such as "light" or "pilsen". Why not just use all LME or all DME?

:mug:

If,for instance,I'm using a Cooper's can Like OS Lager to make an IPA,I'll use half a 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME in the 2.5-3.5 gallon boil. Since the Cooper's LME can is pre-hopped,it is best added at flame out with the remaining DME. Besides,LME caramelizes faster than DME does. Thus,using the DME in the boil helps keep colors lighter & flavors cleaner.

What if the recipe says to add all of the extract, DME and LME, at the beginning of the boil? I've yet to see a recipe online or for a kit that says to do late addition, even though I do anyways. I'll usually add ~2lb of LME at 60 min, and the rest a ~10 min.

Since most kits are partial boil,assuming you don't have a large kettle & are using the stove,they try to make it as easy as possible. Just do the late addition anyway,saving the LME for flame out & the DME in the boil. Since the wort is still boiling hot at flame out,& pasteurization happens in seconds at 160F,flame out extract additions work just fine. You don't need to boil the snot out of extract to pasteurize it. Flame out additions give lighter color & cleaner flavor.

Most LME comes as 3lb ish and 6lb containers, and to offset the need for opening a partial jug of LME you use DME. Also DME is easier to weigh. Say you need 7.5lbs LME in your recipe, instead of using a partial jug/can and trying to weigh it out, you can easily weigh out 1.25lbs DME and use 6lbs LME.

Most LME comes as 3lb ish and 6lb containers, and …

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a 'can' of LME at any of the LHBS's I frequent: Every LME I've ever bought has been in the poly/foil bags in 6, 7, 8, or even 9 lb bags. From what I understand, they bag it themselves from 55gal drums in the back.

What's the appeal of cans, anyways?

They come pre-hopped? Why on earth would you buy pre-hopped LME?

Most LME comes as 3lb ish and 6lb containers, and to offset the need for opening a partial jug of LME you use DME. Also DME is easier to weigh. Say you need 7.5lbs LME in your recipe, instead of using a partial jug/can and trying to weigh it out, you can easily weigh out 1.25lbs DME and use 6lbs LME.

Ah I see. My LHBS sells a few varieties of LME by the pound, so I can go there get the exact amount that I need for my recipe a day or two before I brew. I was just curious if I should be substituting some of that LME for DME for some reason.

My LHBS's LME is 43% cheaper than their DME. And even though the LME has 20% less fermantables, it is still the cheaper option. I keep some DME on hand for starters, but my custom recipes have been all LME or LME+sugar.

Ah I see. My LHBS sells a few varieties of LME by the pound, so I can go there get the exact amount that I need for my recipe a day or two before I brew. I was just curious if I should be substituting some of that LME for DME for some reason.

My LHBS's LME is 43% cheaper than their DME. And even though the LME has 20% less fermantables, it is still the cheaper option. I keep some DME on hand for starters, but my custom recipes have been all LME or LME+sugar.

The only other thing to be aware of is that DME is much more stable than LME. As long as your LHBS is turning over that drum of LME pretty quickly all's well. If it's been sitting in a warm store room for a long period of time it will darken and oxygenate. It is a food stuff with no preservatives, after all. So is the dry, of course, but it has much less moisture and is usually pretty well sealed.

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a 'can' of LME at any of the LHBS's I frequent: Every LME I've ever bought has been in the poly/foil bags in 6, 7, 8, or even 9 lb bags. From what I understand, they bag it themselves from 55gal drums in the back.

Nice, closest LHBS to me is 120 miles and are small scale shops. I did get to visit AHS, unfortunately it was after Christmas/New Years; looked like they got hit hard during the holiday season.

What's the appeal of cans, anyways?

They come pre-hopped? Why on earth would you buy pre-hopped LME?

I don't believe all the cans are hopped, the only can I've ever used was my very first brew using the Mr. Beer kit my wife bought me.

Not all cans of LME are prehopped. They usually come in 3.3lb cans because they are usually packaged as 1.5kg.

I used to use Cooper's a lot. I liked it better than Munton's. But eventually I went to PM with specialty grains + light DME.

Latest posts

Back