Why did I get geysers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My current batch of bottle carb'ed hard cider gushes geysers and makes a serious foam head when poured. I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong.

I have a pressure monitor that I made from a gauge and PET bottle cap. I let the bottles carbonate until the pressure was 25 psi at 75°F, which according to ZahmNagel's chart should be 2 volumes of CO2. Then I put them into the fridge. I assumed that 2 vols is a safe level, but I wasn't expecting gushers.

Is there something basically wrong with my assumptions, or is 2 volumes too much?

This is how I monitor the process:

15249334933_0b518b83c3_z.jpg

How much time between putting them in the fridge and then opening them to discover the problem? 2 volumes is pretty low, should not be a problem at all. Are you confident in your bottle sanitation?

If the idea was to arrest the yeast by chilling the beer after the chosen pressure was reached, I don't think that's reliable...

Cheers!

How much time between putting them in the fridge and then opening them to discover the problem? 2 volumes is pretty low, should not be a problem at all. Are you confident in your bottle sanitation?

I put them in the fridge Weds to have them cold for Turkey Day. They'd been carbing for almost 3 weeks (Nottingham is slow). And yes, I'm quite anal about sanitation.

If the idea was to arrest the yeast by chilling the beer after the chosen pressure was reached, I don't think that's reliable...

Cheers!

this is probably true.

I put them in the fridge Weds to have them cold for Turkey Day. They'd been carbing for almost 3 weeks (Nottingham is slow). And yes, I'm quite anal about sanitation.

My guess is they were still fermenting in the fridge. Not being cold for very long co2 was fully equal or in solution since it hadn't been cold for long.

Back