Why are most recipes 60 minute boils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
As I look through the recipe pages, I see just about all of them call for 60 minute boils. I understand of course this calls for less hops when you use a high AA bittering hop at 60 minutes, and also it imparts less flavor, but sometimes its like this:

.25 X hop high AA @ 60min
.50 X hop high AA @ 30 min
.50 Y hop low AA @ 15 Min.

I mean if they are adding a 30 minute addition which will impart a tad of flavor anyway why not just save a half hour and add say a full oz at the 30?

After a really successful 25 minute Citra Pale ale I have been writing all my hoppy recipes at 30 minutes, besides needing a wee bit more hops is this wrong?(as long as I choose tasty hops)

You know. .. I'd like a good answer to this as well. I think it has something to do with hot break or hops utilization. .. not sure though.

Sub.

As I look through the recipe pages, I see just about all of them call for 60 minute boils. I understand of course this calls for less hops when you use a high AA bittering hop at 60 minutes, and also it imparts less flavor, but sometimes its like this:

.25 X hop high AA @ 60min
.50 X hop high AA @ 30 min
.50 Y hop low AA @ 15 Min.

I mean if they are adding a 30 minute addition which will impart a tad of flavor anyway why not just save a half hour and add say a full oz at the 30?

After a really successful 25 minute Citra Pale ale I have been writing all my recipes at 30 minutes, besides needing a wee bit more hops is this wrong?(as long as I choose tasty hops)

Most recipes are 60 minute boils just because that's a good amount of time for extracting the most IBUs out of the hops. You get slightly more IBUs with a 90 minute boil, but not much more, so it's a good bet.

There are certainly other ways to get roughly the same results- like you suggested with a 30 minute boil but just using more hops.

I have a couple of recipes that only add hops at 15 minutes to the end (called "hopbursting") so a 15 minute boil would be adequate in those cases.

Of course, this is for extract brewing. The extract has already been process, so it doesn't need a long boil. In the cases of all-grain brewing, there are reasons other than hop utilization to boil (like protein coagulation, to kill lactobacillus, to condense the wort, etc).

Oh, I am in the process of planning my 1st BIAB partial mash with about 6 lbs of grain. An APA using citra at a 30 minute boil. As its my 1st I will be using step by step with the sticky above except decreasing my boil time.

Would a 30 minute boil suffice or will I need to up my boil time? I dont think I need to condense my wort, as I will be topping off some anyway, and I think the lacto will die in those 30 minutes. Dont know nothing about protein coagulation though.

Thanks for response

Would a 30 minute boil suffice or will I need to up my boil time?

With just a handful of exceptions, it's good practice to always boil mash runnings for at least 60 minutes. Depending on the types of base malt you use, you may end up with off-flavors if you don't. I am specifically thinking of DMS, which has a creamed corn-like flavor, and is most common when using Pilsen-type malts (I recommend boiling Pilsner malt-based beer for 75-90 minutes). The other variable, applicable more to all grain brewing than extract, is flavor development through melanoidin reactions, which is an important component of many malty beer styles.

Oh, I am in the process of planning my 1st BIAB partial mash with about 6 lbs of grain. An APA using citra at a 30 minute boil. As its my 1st I will be using step by step with the sticky above except decreasing my boil time.

Would a 30 minute boil suffice or will I need to up my boil time? I dont think I need to condense my wort, as I will be topping off some anyway, and I think the lacto will die in those 30 minutes. Dont know nothing about protein coagulation though.

Thanks for response

Since you're doing partial mash,& I assume no prehopped extract,I usually do a 60 minute boil in order to get in a bittering hop addition. Although hop bursting for 30 minutes could do as well. I usually mash 5-6lbs of grain in 2 gallons of spring water for 1 hour @ 152F-155F,depending on the style. I took yooper's advice in an earlier thread & uped the temp getting the wort to a hard boil for a couple minutes. This aids in a better hot break To coagulate protiens if I got it right. Then turn down just enough to get an even rolling boil that isn't too aggresive. 10 minutes from the end,I add 1/4tsp of super moss dissolved in a little spring water.

My BIAB are all 60 minutes, and when I did extract's I usually just did a quick 15-20 minutes, then topped off with cold water......

All grains take awhile anyway, you have to do your mash which is 60, then boil 60, it takes time to make good beer.

Ok, Its really no problem to increase it to a 60 minute boil, just longer I have to run my stove. I can easily reach my bittering goal of 40ish ibu with a 30 minute boil with my 30 and 15 minute Citra additions, but I'll reduce and move back the 30 minute to 60 and viola. Oh, maybe I'll just use some leftover hops I have in my freezer....

Thanks for the help!

With just a handful of exceptions, it's good practice to always boil mash runnings for at least 60 minutes. Depending on the types of base malt you use, you may end up with off-flavors if you don't. I am specifically thinking of DMS, which has a creamed corn-like flavor, and is most common when using Pilsen-type malts (I recommend boiling Pilsner malt-based beer for 75-90 minutes). The other variable, applicable more to all grain brewing than extract, is flavor development through melanoidin reactions, which is an important component of many malty beer styles.

^This.

I think with most modern highly modified non-Pilsner malts DMS is not too much of a problem, but I would still boil at least 60 minutes just to be sure. Also for the malanoidin aspect.

Random $0.02 - longer boils are also good for increasing your efficiency in all grain brewing. If you are having efficiency issues or problems getting to a target gravity, you can do a bigger sparge and start your boil with 8.5 gallons instead of 6.5 or 7 and boil it down to 5.5 to hit your gravity.

Back