Why are Facebook links being shown in Russian (or at least some language that writes in Cyrillic)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Example:

1657320439702.png

Link is legit, and goes to a page in English. From this post.

@HBT_Admin

doug93cz

OP
OP
doug293cz

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks as if someone copied a Russian link. We don't translate links.
Seems unlikely. HBT post with link came from Vancouver, BC IP address, which matches thread title, and everything indicates that poster linked to their own Facebook post. Facebook post linked is in English. I have seen a lot of Facebook links, in the recent past, where the descriptive text appears to be in Russian. I even tried linking to my own Facebook page, and the link showed up in Russian.

hopjuice_71

Reaction score
Seems unlikely. HBT post with link came from Vancouver, BC IP address, which matches thread title, and everything indicates that poster linked to their own Facebook post. Facebook post linked is in English. I have seen a lot of Facebook links, in the recent past, where the descriptive text appears to be in Russian. I even tried linking to my own Facebook page, and the link showed up in Russian.
Same, same. Seems legit, but the Cyrillic was a bit off-putting. I was interested because I'm from this general area.

jwhazel

Reaction score
I think this is likely a bug on facebooks end. Possibly the result of temporary internal network load balancing or rerouting. I've tried a few different link previewers on that URL and I've seen it come back randomly in Russian, Chinese, and even English. You can use something like this to verify: Link preview generator by Stephan Bogner

I.e. it's not Homebrewtalk's problem

Last edited:

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hmm, i wonder?

that was just a simple direct link to their homepage....

another try at this....

hmm...

see if the brits are having this happen?

at any rate i think that proves it's a facebook thing?

Last edited:

jwhazel

Reaction score
I think FB is using this to track the issue: Войдите на Facebook

I realize that issue describes chat, but they seem to be linking all other bug reports involving incorrect language back to this one meaning they all likely have the same root cause. I'm now theorizing that they updated something in their SDK that broke previous functionality, as Facebook often tends to do.

HBT_Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all that have been researching this strange happening. And it does look as if it is from FB.