Why am I getting so much foam?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I keg two batches at the same time and typically follow this method: purge kegs, turn to 30 psi and agitate for about 5 minutes, turn off gas to kegs and let it sit for a day or so, purge kegs and set to about 15 psi for a few days, then set to serving pressure (about 8 psi or so). This has worked great for me, except for 1 of the kegs in my last batches. While one of the kegs has been beautifully carbonated and pours with a head I would anticipate, the other keg is pouring with a gigantic head that I have to let settle for a few minutes before drinking. After a couple pints are pulled in a row, it starts to pour great. But, it it is left to sit for 10 minutes or longer, the foam returns. Any ideas what is causing this? I do the same exact procedure for both damn kegs! The only difference I can think of is that for my last 2 keggings (of 4 kegs, 2 per), one of the kegs both times was not filled as much as the other... and it is this keg that has produced the foamy results. Could this be the cause?

Either way, I'd appreciate any input regarding both potential cause and a possible way of reducing the foam in this current beer. Cheers!

I actually am having the same problem with only one of my 2 taps that are connected to one regulator. I'm going to make sure the foamy one is really clean before i refill. The foamy one for me is a 1.053 OG pale ale with .25 lbs dextrin... Could that cause a little more foam as well?

First of all, how long is your beer line, and what ID is it? For 3/16" ID line you need approx. 8-10' of line to have a good pour at 12 psi. All this talk about lowering to "serving" pressure is nonsense, you should dispense beer at same pressure you carbing it at or it will go flat

paraordnance said:
First of all, how long is your beer line, and what ID is it? For 3/16" ID line you need approx. 8-10' of line to have a good pour at 12 psi. All this talk about lowering to "serving" pressure is nonsense, you should dispense beer at same pressure you carbing it at or it will go flat

My line are about 8', and only the last 2 kegs I've put on that side have had this issue- like I said, those 2 kegs only had about 4.25 gal in them. And thanks for the tip on "serving pressure," I just upped mine back to 14.5 psi ;-)

My line are about 8', and only the last 2 kegs I've put on that side have had this issue- like I said, those 2 kegs only had about 4.25 gal in them. And thanks for the tip on "serving pressure," I just upped mine back to 14.5 psi ;-)

what is temperature of dispensed beer? Internal diameter of beer line? (should be marked right on it)

what is temperature of dispensed beer? Internal diameter of beer line? (should be marked right on it)

temp is usually around 39-42F... ID is, well, I don't really feel like going to look right now :drunk:. it's whatever beveragefactory.com ships with their kegerators, my guess is it's about 3/8"??? Again, the other side (all the same specs) is BEAUTIFUL!

temp is usually around 39-42F... ID is, well, I don't really feel like going to look right now :drunk:. it's whatever beveragefactory.com ships with their kegerators, my guess is it's about 3/8"??? Again, the other side (all the same specs) is BEAUTIFUL!

ID of tubing has HUGE impact on carbonated beverage dispensing. If your lines all have same ID then I would look elsewere, but if one has ID lets say 3/16" (most common recommended size) and other 5/16" the length of the tubing must nearly double in lenght to achieve same pour. I have 2 picnic taps, one 3/16" x 6' which pours nicely @ 12 psi and 40F, other picnic tap I ordered by mistake is 5/16" x 9' and with same conditions I get about half glass of foam.

paraordnance said:
ID of tubing has HUGE impact on carbonated beverage dispensing. If your lines all have same ID then I would look elsewere, but if one has ID lets say 3/16" (most common recommended size) and other 5/16" the length of the tubing must nearly double in lenght to achieve same pour. I have 2 picnic taps, one 3/16" x 6' which pours nicely @ 12 psi and 40F, other picnic tap I ordered by mistake is 5/16" x 9' and with same conditions I get about half glass of foam.

They are exactly the same: 3/16"

My guess is it has something to do with the 30 psi + shaking routine when the kegs isn't full... hmm...

My guess is it has something to do with the 30 psi + shaking routine when the kegs isn't full... hmm...

Yep. That method has been proven time and time again on this forum to produce inconsistent results. My guess is that you have an overcarbed keg. Take it off the gas, vent, let sit, repeat. I prefer the set and forget carbing method myself, but if I'm in a hurry I will burst carb without the shaking. For those rare times, I put the chilled keg on ~30 psi for 24-36 hrs, then reset to proper pressure.

Back