Who's the hell is Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleMatt

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout a couple weeks ago (thanks for the recipe Yooper). I used Nottingham yeast (re-hydrated) instead of what Yooper recommended. Fermentation kicked off about 18 hours after pitching but the krausen went down after 24 - 36 hours. I have a fermentation chamber and the temp was set to 68F.

About a week later, I noticed little specks on top... almost like small specks of dry yeast. Yesterday, I took a sample. The FG was 1.012, OG was 1.055 so around 5.6% Abv.

I tasted the sample and it didn't taste bad. It didn't taste sour or like sulfur.

Today, it has developed a milky haze. It kind of looks like the pictures of what others say is a Brett infection.

I took a couple pictures. It's dark in my ferm chamber so I am shining a flashlight through the carboy and taking the picture as close as possible.

photo 1 (3).jpg

photo 2 (2).jpg

Should I just keg it leaving a couple inches of beer in the carboy and give it a try after it's carbonated?

Sure. If it tastes good, bottle it up If it's bad it will taste like a*s.

Yah, kegging it and refrigerating it should stop most yeast activity. As long as it tastes OK I wouldn't worry.
Even if it is Brett, it can take months for the sour and other Brett flavors to develop. Also, unless you have Brett in your brewery, I think it's probably something else.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks kind of like yeast rafts. Are they cream colored or white?

They look pretty dry. They are not creamy like yeast rafts and yeast rafts usually go away after a while. At least that's what I've witnessed.

Union... That hole is a little too small for me. What you do with your home brew is your business.

I have a cider that's been in the secondary for many months. I thought for sure it was infected because the airlock was dry and it had a pattern just like your picture (though not too different from many beer ferments I've seen).

I took a taste, and other than being somewhat still hot, it doesn't have any sour or vinegar flavors.

Take a taste and find out...

I laughed when I read your post union. I thought it was pretty funny. I set myself up when I described it as a milky film.

I'll keg it tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know how it tastes carbonated.

It's not fully carbed but it tastes great. I think the specks in the picture are pieces of hops. I used t90 pellets. They must have dried on the wall of the carboy and shaken loose when my fermentation fridge kicked on. This was the first time I used the ferm chamber. As for the milky white stuff, I don't know what that is but it went away when I crash cooled.

Cheers!

Back