Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately because of the coronavirus I did not get to go to my house in France this summer. French pork is much leaner than American, and the pigs appear to be much bigger. Lat summer I ordered 3 shoulders for a family cookout-each one averaged 7 kilos. The ribs I cooked this weekend were just grocery store rbs, uninfected with flavor solution.
Also I was not using a probe, just a digital thermometer inserted in a half dozen of the thickest areas of the ribs. And the wife and I are about to eat the last few ribs right now, with pinto beans and ppotato salad. Bon apetit.

I don't know the bge on a personal level, but depending on the temp probe placement in relation to grate surface can be significantly different. Alternatively, the ceramic insulation may make it very temperature stable with a low swing.

I roll Kamado Joe, so I'm familiar with the grill. You're right that temp settings are basically nonexistent.

I do wonder if it was the size of the ribs. I get mine from Costco and usually search for the heaviest 3-pack I can find. Each slab is therefore >3 lbs.

That may be meatier than a typical grocery store slab.

98BF8E87-E5F0-44A8-B47F-95675634D464.jpeg

Was given more jalapeños than I could use. Made Poppers from the biggest and threw the rest in the smoker as an experiment. Smoking made them super sweet and gave them a jelly texture. Very yum!

Smoking made them super sweet and gave them a jelly texture. Very yum!
Couple times a year I make smoked tomatillo salsa. Toss tomatillos, head of garlic, couple onions and whatever pepper on the smoker. I usually do a lighter wood like cherry and just a little hickory.

Toss everything into the blender, add lime juice, salt and black pepper until it tastes right. Good stuff!

Couple times a year I make smoked tomatillo salsa. Toss tomatillos, head of garlic, couple onions and whatever pepper on the smoker. I usually do a lighter wood like cherry and just a little hickory.

Toss everything into the blender, add lime juice, salt and black pepper until it tastes right. Good stuff!

That sounds awesome. Just might have to go to the store and get the stuff to make it this afternoon.

For all of the smoking I've been doing over the last few months, I've been terrible about snapping pics. Well, I make no promises about being better.

Tossed some thighs on after work. Low and slow @ 225 to an I.T. of 155 ~ 2hrs then into a 400°f oven to crisp the sk8n ~15min. Plated with sauteed sumer veggies
20200708_062234.jpg

Have yet to try smoking some fish on my smoker. Don't know if it will maintain a nice low temp. Can grill it like nobodies business though! Looks good @Kharmynb.
I hot-smoke fish semi regularly. Usually takes 1-3 beers to smoke a fish, depending on the beer and how hot it is outside. Summer 3-beer is about equal to winter 1 beer.

with salmon, I find the best way is to just put rough seasalt on the top, sprinkle just a pinch of sugar over and then smoke it hot and heavy on the smoke for 30 minutes till you have a nice dark top on it.

@Dgallo I'm pretty sure the "sticky-icky-icky" referred to by Ludacris is actually barbeque sauce...he's just misunderstood by the establishment and some record execs abridged his real message...true southern rapper after all. 😀
Also,sweet lookin rig!

@Dgallo I'm pretty sure the "sticky-icky-icky" referred to by Ludacris is actually barbeque sauce...he's just misunderstood by the establishment and some record execs abridged his real message...true southern rapper after all. 😀
Also,sweet lookin rig!
Lololol and thanks brother

finally got the igniter on Friday, 6 f'n weeks! installed it on Sat and I'm making some ribs this afternoon... better not have any more issues with thing.

My thermal fuse blew on my Bradly smoker a few weeks ago(I think the meat was touching the temp probe). Replaced it with a fuse from Mouser a few days ago. Smoked up some Chicken Legs and Thighs Saturday and a 7# Boston Butt yesterday. Both turned out excellent!! Sorry no pics:no:

Got 56 lbs of pork butt to smoke for a work bbq on Friday. I hope it all fits in the smoker.
If not... half batch smoke till the stall, then move to the oven @ same temp. Then start the second batch.

If you SV, I've smoked to stall then bagged and SV. Possibly the most succulent pulled butts ive ever made since I was able to save those juices separate the fat. Then add the renered stock back to the meat

Been cooking on Webers just about forever. Finally bit the bullet and this came and was assembled Tuesday afternoon! Had a couple of strips on hand so did those as my first cook on it. Love the sear box attachment for that final sear :) Brisket this weekend for a real test!
Assembled.jpg
Sear Box Grate.jpg
PG Strip 7-28-2020 2.JPG

Looks like a bottom round or ball-tip.
I also like to smoke eye of round. I'll thin slice it for dips and sandwich lunch meat.
It was a whole sirloin tip, I got it at Sams club I figured it would be worth a gamble at that price. I like the idea of a eye round for a sandwich

Got into smoking about a year ago forgot this thread existed. Anyway, plan on smoking a leg of lamb this weekend with some cherry wood. Second leg I've done and I'm excited. the first one was definitely worth the squeeze.

I used this rub from Meathead's book (I mean, when people call you Meathead I think you'd know a thing or two about meat) but I am open to any suggestions. I like to change things up.

4.5 hours into a low and slow on a pork butt. Waiting for an internal temperature of 160ish before I pull it off the smoker, wrap in foil, and put it back on the grates to finish out at 190. Then it's a half hour rest before tearing back the foil and pulling the pork for some sandwiches. :rock:
DSCN0001.JPG

I got a pack of St Louis Spareribs going on tomorrow.
My usual supplier is BJs, they apparantly went from 2 racks in a pack to 3.
I;m probably going to cook up a rack and a half or so, I'll vacuum seal the rest and play freezer tetris to stuff the rest in there for the next time.
I usually prefer smoking pork over cherry wood mixed with hickory, but when I just went down to prep (primary heat is charcoal briquets - another story there...) I realized I only have apple wood.
Gonna have to restock the chunks. Besides the ribs I'm going to have a brisket in a couple weeks going down.

10lbs of fresh pork belly going into the curing brine today. It'll soak in the coldest part of the fridge while the family goes camping for the weekend. Next Tuesday I'll smoke it, Wednesday slice it. Mmm, bacon.

I got a pack of St Louis Spareribs going on tomorrow.
My usual supplier is BJs, they apparantly went from 2 racks in a pack to 3.
I;m probably going to cook up a rack and a half or so, I'll vacuum seal the rest and play freezer tetris to stuff the rest in there for the next time.
I usually prefer smoking pork over cherry wood mixed with hickory, but when I just went down to prep (primary heat is charcoal briquets - another story there...) I realized I only have apple wood.
Gonna have to restock the chunks. Besides the ribs I'm going to have a brisket in a couple weeks going down.

I have good luck with about 50/50 apple/oak

Back