Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck roast
image-20190614_214320.jpeg
20190615_082442.jpeg
image-20190615_131555.jpeg

Oh man, those look good! I was just thinking about pork belly burnt ends today and that should be a weekend project. How long did you smoke them for and at what temp?

275 for ~ 3 hrs spritzing every 45 min. Then removed them from baking rack and put them in a foil tray and added a little more seasoning and a sweet sauce and back on for an hour or so.

I followed Matt Pittmans recipe. I PMed you the link I followed. Came out great.

Not brewing for in the grill use, just next to the grill use. But have thought about using dme instead of sugar in some dry rubs.

I have been using old HB scotch ale and a failed barly wine.
Can’t say it made a difference, but can’t say it did not.
Think this is a better use of the old home brew instead of drain pour!

I'm in prep mode (well, more like conceptualizing mode) for the 4th.
Having some folks over, so at least some ribs going on.
I'll make some my usual kinda spicy dry rub way, and a some the "normal" way.
I also have a pork loin in the freezer, I really want to try a porchetta - my thought is to smoke it for a while, then higher heat to cook it them the super-high to get the crackle going on the skin.
Sort of in negotiation for that.

WingsView attachment 633292

On a side note, or question.
I have been using last seasons HB Scotch Ale in my grills water pan.

Does any specifically brew beer with the intention of drinking/grilling?
If so, what kind?
Scotch Ale is a great griller. So is Guinness extra Stout. I would imagine just about and dark ale or Stout... depending on the flavor profile wanted

Having cooked various steaks with just about every possible form of heat, I decided to throw a few thick NY Strips in the smoker for dinner for myself and the kids last night.

1 1/2 hours @ 225 then to the cast iron skillet on the side burner of the gas grill for a sear.

Smoke ring on a steak was different, but they were VERY tasty.

Bacon! Hickory and Cherry for 3.5 hrs to 150.
Running a little on the hot side. Overshot my temp and struggled keeping it under 240. Was wanting to be closer to 210 and a 5.5hr smoke.
View attachment 633502
I can run my smoker at 225F in the winter but getting it under 250F in the summer seems impossible. I think I'll just stick to making bacon in the winter.

I wanted to talk about microwave finish. Man the reheat on the ribs vacuum sealed from the freezer was killer. Have any of you noticed that that final reheat in the microwave can really render all that fat quickly. I think with ribs especially a last minute blast before serving can take them right where you want them instantaneously. You could pull them over an hour underdone and boom. Finish them like you wrapped them for 2 hours in a minute, without the boiled aspect. Have noticed the same with pork butt etc. Anyone ever notice how great microwave render and reheat.

6hr 40 min, flat out. Hickory and cherry and heavy kosher salt. Trimmed to an eighth inch around as aerodynamic as possible and quick. Cut into flat and point. The point is still cooking. Now get me away before I take it down standing here.
20190707_172759.jpeg
20190707_172557.jpeg
20190707_172632.jpeg

Cut the point up cold. Easy to see fat from meat. Cut out big pieces of fat, scraped a lot out too. Then chopped it up. Nothing but olive oil and salt. It made a massive pile. So stoked to cook with it. Here you can see it was pretty tender. Dang, I was nibbling like a delirious fool.
Screenshot_20190708-185314_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20190708-212332.jpeg

Wrapping at the end, last 2 hrs, gave me the best pork spare ribs I ever made. Swmbo hates pork and kept going back for more of these.
Traps some mosture, and makes your cut falling off the bone tender. Kinda steams it.
Not sure about the cooler bit...

The primary reason to wrap is it kills the stall--which is caused by evaporative cooling. Without ready access to atmosphere, evaporation is limited because you quickly hit 100% humidity, and you can continue to drive heat into the meat.

That said I generally don't wrap--even though that means I sometimes have a brisket stall for 8 hours. :eek:

I wanted to try not wrapping during cooking but afterwards while resting. The two main reasons I let it rest in the cooler after hitting temp. Our guests weren’t coming over for a couple hours. Amazingribs website said to rest in a faux cambro before slicing and serving. My non expert thoughts are it is like resting a steak except for longer, it helps the moisture and meat juices go back into the meat so you don’t lose it all when slicing. It was delicious, whether that was helped from the rest or not I’m not sure.

Back