Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you slicing (190), shredding (195), or making burnt ends (190, cut back in smoker)?

I don't know.... haven't tried it yet.

But point taken is that you cook it more like its a pork shoulder, not a steak.

195 ish. Could probably go lower or higher a little. Yeah you cook it like a pork shoulder. It makes sense because it is the shoulder of the cow whereas the pork butt is the shoulder of the hog. A round Chuck or Chuck round or round anything gets cooked more in the 140 range and sliced super thin because it has no fat. I would trim the Chuck as best as I could and nothing but salt for me.

Curious enough the microwave does a great job of rendering any last little fat When reheated from the freezer. So if you don't get it all the way where you want it don't worry it will likely get there when you reheat it. Honestly I could see pulling anything if needed early and just finishing it in the microwave right before I serve it to people. Ideally you would not do that but you never know.

1st time posting on this thread. I envy all y'all from the south! Here in Michigan's SW corner, Sundays snow is almost gone. Plan on grabbing a brisket (@15#) from the GFS tomorrow. We don't have the option of picking from 6 different meat houses within 100 miles and Wally World doesn't carry brisket when the migrants are not in town. I've cooked a GFS brisket in UP deer camp that the only sounds 10 guys made was forks and knives til the whole thing was gone though. I use cherry orchard prunings at 250 to a temp of 195-200 and rest 30 minutes. Works for me. Making one for Easter dinner. Brine overnight than use a spicy rub and injection for another 24. Heres to the end of Lent!

I'm in the tribe, but not practicing. But I have been really serious about celebrating the sabbath recently, in my own ways. Whichever one is thicker would be my gut instinct answer. Ultimately it will be much easier to decide looking at them and choosing the best marbling regardless. Checking for evenness and such.

Corned beef! Only got one and shoot it could be taken down just snacking. Heavy crust of brown sugar. Washed it good. Trimmed it to about 1/8 in all around and rubbed with evoo. Then the sugar and 275 till 195. Super good. Yeah, a bit salty straight up. We usually make fried rice and in this case with tillamook swiss on a plain einsteins bagel. View attachment 622142

overnight soak in water will help with that saltiness.... looks good!

I'm watching for corned beef to go on sale next time for the pastrami. Though at $10 a pound at the deli, even regular price is saving a ton.
I have a big ol' packer on now. 12.5 lbs or so. Went on at about 7 this morning, dinner's around 6. Should be done in time...
I do it my usual way, loosely based on Montreal smoked meat - a bunch of Montreal steak spice, added extra garlic powder and cracked coriander seed. Always comes out tasty.
Wish I had a beer to go with, but it's Passover... how many other seders have a smoked brisket as the main course? :)
Of course it's that big to make sure we have plenty of leftovers for the week.

Just a little something from the other day...
IMG_4799.JPG

Smoked spare ribs using everything seasoning, honey mustard and garlic pork sirloin, slow cooked in oven last night, then smoked for 3 hours at 250° with 3/4 mesquite and 1/4 hickory wood chips. Yummmm!!!
20190421_143714.jpeg
tenor%20(1).gif

Smoked a ham. Rubbed with evoo and brown sugar. Didn't really get a good picture of it. Made a loaf of bread to go with it. Happy Easter.

First time using pecan. Super tasty. Sweet with a slight nuttiness were first impressions.
Screenshot_20190421-162858_Gallery.jpeg

Pecan, fellas, pecan. What's the word?
Cold smoked some cheddar with pecan last Saturday. I probably left it in too long but the bitterness mellowed after a day in the fridge. Good stuff. I haven't been using pecan lately and I'm craving it. Hmmm what should I do with it next?

When I was in high school we had 3 cherry trees that got killed off by boring beetles. Every time someone on here talks about smoking with cherry I think about all that wood that was just wasted.

When I was in high school we had 3 cherry trees that got killed off by boring beetles. Every time someone on here talks about smoking with cherry I think about all that wood that was just wasted.

IMG_7548.JPG
I hear you’ve been talking about my cousins

I like pecan for pork, especially ribs and pulled pork. I usually use hickory over it though as it is a bit more pronounced. I did do stuffing in small gourds using pecan pellets last Thanksgiving and it was great!

Those beetles must be really boring if they were able to kill off several cherry trees.

Made a rub and put it in an old rub container but not my usual thick sugar rub. Hmm. Pecan! Pecan doesn't seem right for beef.

That had to have been the best smoked steak I've had in long fuggin while.

The beans were good smokey too, and too easier than a baked potato eating-wise. Just mixed beans, Rotel tomato and chilli, fresh garlic, dried onion and Goya Adobo Seasoning and laid it a flat pan on the smoker. I think the dried onion soaked up portion of the liquid. I imagine the 500F sear helped flash off any liquid too.
IMG_20190429_205645.jpeg

Since I first tasted it many years ago, the Marzen has been a beer reserved for special occasions. It's just wonderful.

Happy birthday from another 53-yr old.
You need to try the Urbock if you like the Marzen. My buddies think it's more smokey and malty. They like both but edge out the Urbock. It's also a stiffer drink at 6.5%

I’m the head cook this weekend for the Copper Top Bar and grill, in the Brushy Creek BBQ cookoff. I’m turning in pintos, cooks choice (beef ribs), a bourbon brined chicken, spare ribs, and brisket. In that order lol. Pits getting lit Friday 10pm results come in Saturday at 6 pm. I placed in beans last year and that was it...there are usually 75+ teams in this cook-off.

Austin Beer Works, Good Vodka, Dickle Bourbon are sponsoring us and gave us plenty of drinks to hand out.

Will post up some pix when I have a chance...

Sooooo. Friday set up involved an 18’ trailer and moving my 800# offset bbq pit on there. 4 pop up tents. 8 of the biggest coolers full of donated beer sponsored beer, and a case of ‘real good’ vodka. It was all good, going smoothly..set up food prep...drinking. Then the storms hit. We’re talking sideways rain. Lightning so close you could smell the sulphur. Anyway that lasted from 10 till 2 am. The pop ups leaked a bit and the fields and parking lots were turned in to whitewater rapids and bogs but the pit held a constant 250ish.

Saturday was perfect weather for turn in and the food trailer from the copper top tavern, who I was cooking for, was 20 deep for hours till we sold out of non contest food. In case you were wondering that was 8 butts and 4 briskets....and 4 1# beef ribs @ 20$ a rib. That was my idea the tavern ow er didn’t think they would sell at that price point. 5 min later they were gone and customers were asking for more.

So how did team Copper Top do?

Out of 43 teams.......

3rd place dessert (amazeballs banana pudding)
5th place chefs choice ( shrimp brochettes)
10th place pinto beans
5th place pork spareribs

No final table or place in chicken or brisket ;(

Our sponsors were happy with the results and will more than likely up their end of the game if that is possible. This year we had 5 cases from Austin Beer Works, and another mixed 5 cases from brown beer distribution. As well as a 1/6 barrel keg of 512 ipa and a case of ‘real good’ vodka.

I’m spent....pix coming I promise :)

Back