Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ribs and homemade sauce. Made sauce with a porter I brewed couple months back found bottle hiding in beer fridge. Smoked on smoker for couple hours and then finished on my 3 embers grill with sauce

Last edited:
Ribs on here too. Pork spare ribs. Trimmed nicely and rubbed with sugar, salt, pumkin pie spice, mustard powder, and onion powder. Franklin video helped with trimming them. Was going to wrap for 1st time ever but bailed. Had to cut them in half to fit. Was going to go 2hr at 275, 40 min wrap with sauce, and 20 minutes more. Amazing ribs has nice info on wrapping and i agree with his points that you dont want to overdo it and have mushy ribs.

Is that your normal temp? I couldn't remember what I pulled the last one at so I went to 200+ this time. Longest cook ever at 19 hours. Not sure why it took so long but the end product was good. Sorry, I always forget pics.

I usually shoot for anywhere between 190-195. This one was about 12 hours, but the temp overrun overnight probably helped me through the stall. Probably would have been 14-15 hours otherwise. I don't smoke at 225F anymore though. I don't perceive a discernible difference in taste or tenderness at 250F, and the difference in cook time is dramatic. I had a full packer brisket stall for damn near 9 hours once at 225!

Here’s the second load. 60 lbs of chicken all rubbed and ready to go in.
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG
. There are some real cooks on here. Mad skills. Love those ABT’s.

Its homemade with cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice. With the mustard, its nice guess mmv. Brought them in to finish at 325. Big hunk of meat on one end. Had a roast on top of it? Damn. Anyways they were good. But will sauce them next time.
20180903_165319.jpg
20180903_172548.jpg

Naked Ribs are good too. I prefer tasting the meat over tasting the sauce.

I think if my brisket is thawed out (in the fridge), the weather cooperates and SWMBO doesn't have anything on the agenda (went food shopping today) then I might get to the brisket tomorrow.

May as well pop on a rack of ribs or something to go with it. I know I have more jalapeno's I can turn into Chipotle. I already have 2 jars dehydrated and ground. Time will tell.

We have 2 of the greatgrandkids for an overnight on Sat...they gotta eat too.

Last edited:
I have bought a two lambs over the last couple years. The butcher keeps the rib racks whole and I smoke them like pork spare ribs. I add some extra rosemary to the rub. We had a rack for dinner last night. These are so good. I have never seen lamb ribs in the store. I wonder what the processors do with them.
IMG_3773.JPG

I have bought a two lambs over the last couple years. The butcher keeps the rib racks whole and I smoke them like pork spare ribs. I add some extra rosemary to the rub. We had a rack for dinner last night. These are so good. I have never seen lamb ribs in the store. I wonder what the processors do with them.View attachment 587221

Grocery stores around here (MT) usually have legs, chops and ribs, though some stores only has them frozen; you might check the freezer section. Regards, GF.

My two pork butts were a hit at the party - when we got there the host told me that the earlier arrivals had all asked “Is Jon bringing smoked pork again?”

The smoker is still set up and chickens were $0.79/lb this morning, so we’re having smoked chicken later.

I found a good deal at the store earlier and got a 4# whole chicken for a few dollars. I've never messed with a whole chicken before, but it says giblets and neck removed already. Is there anything else I need to do with it at that point or just season it and throw it on the smoker?
Just stumbled across your post... Next time you smoke poultry... Brine it!

Check out ..
https://www.smoking-meat.com/

Great resource. Lots of good recipes and how to articles.

Cheers

Did a couple briskets on Sunday. One was a more or less traditional Texas style, just salt & pepper, the other was based on pastrami / Montreal smoked meat, with Montreal steak spice, extra garlic powder and extra crushed coriander seed. Came out real good.

Attachments

• A78AE47F-E932-4B6C-924C-E128B59AC561.jpeg
    A78AE47F-E932-4B6C-924C-E128B59AC561.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • DD8BE628-2B6E-4B55-97AD-54EFE742158C.jpeg
    DD8BE628-2B6E-4B55-97AD-54EFE742158C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 378DBB43-B039-409B-92A7-CE441EE11C2E.jpeg
    378DBB43-B039-409B-92A7-CE441EE11C2E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
Just picked up an 11lb pork shoulder to put on the trusty WSM to make sliders and pulled pork pizza

I do not know much because my patience isnt the best. But i consider some factors related to rest. I rarely plan an extended rest. I think oven set low might be desirable for pork shoulder, but depending on how it was cooked and what temp, oven set on low could be bad for beef. Beef pulled a little low and set to rest in oven on low is a secret i have read in cookbooks. Since i dont wrap any meat when i smoke it, i fear for softening the bark too much. Other times it might be more ideal. So i guess i call audibles. The cooler method seems solid. Hope to learn more about this too. im willimg to try giving a little more rest. Most meats seems frozen to be eaten later or refrigerated for later

Is there any benefit to resting in a cooler instead of an oven set low?
The cooler method will steam your meat, once your shoulder or brisket hits the temp you want wrap your meat in foil & news papers then in a couple of bath towels place it in a cooler for a couple of hours, shoulders will just fall apart.

I have only done 1 brisket so far on my Webber kettle grill and couldn't get the right kind of butcher paper soon enough for the cook. I wrapped mine in foil then rested in a cooler for about 1 1/2 hours, it came out pretty good. I have the right kind of butcher paper now and the next time I do one, I'll be copying this guy's process for sure.

Anyone use maple wood? How is it? Just asking as my Academey Sports has it on clearance.

Maple is a great wood for smoking poultry. it's best blended with a bit of hickory and cherry or apple. It works as a straight up smoke, but is harsher like that of hickory and mesquite.

I've smoked barley with maple. Used it on a brown ale where people said it's a bacon tasting brown ale. Perfect for drinking/smoking meats with maple. LOL
[emoji8]

http://www.dantesdevine.com/pages/Smoking-Woods.html

Last edited:
Pork butts were $0.99/lb so of course I grabbed one. At that price, a 7 lb pork butt was roughly the same price as the two-serving salmon fillet I grilled last night. Anyway, butt’s on the WSM and will be ready in plenty of time for Wisconsin vs. Iowa later tonight.

Smoking a chuck and pork shoulder. Oak and apple to start, hickory and apple to finish. Store didnt have cherry. I have not cared for the oak and apple that much. That said its not displeasing. I miss the hickory cherry. In a pinch so did 2 to 1 sugar to salt on pork and salt on chuck. Pics soon! The Chuck has been stalled for a while. 275 straight through.

Last edited:
I just threw on half a dozen chicken drums with applewood. Seasoned half with chile lime seasoning, and the other with lemon pepper.

Back