Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't own a sous vide...
And I meant the simplest way doing the old fashioned way on the smoker.

But judging by the posts by @bailey mountain brewer my plan seems solid.
Good tip about the butter, might try that, do you just cut a few thin slices and put them on top of the ribs before wrapping?
Yeah just a few slices on top and wrap em up.

Fileted and smoked trout last night that I caught over the weekend. Didn't take a pic of the final product but they got a nice golden color to them and took the smoke nicely. I need to work on my filet skills, trout are challenging. But turned out great.
not much trout in my area. but i have always chopped head off and gutted them for rainbows any way and they were never big 13-14"rs. brined and smoked. meat pulls off those pesky bones.

not much trout in my area. but i have always chopped head off and gutted them for rainbows any way and they were never big 13-14"rs. brined and smoked. meat pulls off those pesky bones.
Ohhh trust me that's 99% of the time what I do and they are fantastic, I wanted to smoke these ones and the smoke gets into the meat a little better when fileted. But I couldn't agree with you more.

Ribs were delicious.

PXL_20240528_014908154.jpg

PXL_20240528_015009501.jpg

PXL_20240528_015618361.jpg

pair of babybacks, halfway thru smoking.

not Grog's Butt, but dang tasty

Grog’s Rules for Food™ #3 – it’s Carolina-style for pulled pork, Texas for brisket, Memphis for chicken and Kansas City for ribs

3 hours in the smoker, then to the oven for 2 hours in an AJ bath wrapped in foil, 1 sauced & unwrapped

1716903357165.png

So 3hr smoke, 2hr wrapped with butter, 1hr sauced if I got it right?
Yes, for spare ribs. They're meatier than baby back ribs, which is why you need 6 hrs total.

If you have baby back ribs, then it's 2 hr smoke, 2 hr wrapped with butter, 1 hr sauced. 5 hrs total.

BTW I personally would take that final hour and go 30 minutes unwrapped w/o sauce, and then sauce only for the last 30 minutes. That's just my personal preference so that the sauce doesn't end up cooking down too much in that last portion.

Just a question, gonna go into town for some grocery shopping and doing errands today with my 2 little hooligans, and try to finds some decent (pork)ribs for the weekend and maybe get a few friends over.

What's the simplest way to make ribs? I've never really done ribs American bbq style on the WSM, but plenty other stuff.
I suppose my plan had been rub'em up with Memphis mud rub, smoke at ~120c for 3-4 hours, take off and rest a little then sauce them fairly thick, wrap up and back on the heat but no smoke for an hour or so more.
Have I missed something? Should I do differently?
https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/ribs

Works for me.

I did this past weekend. Had our more-or-less annual Memorial Day BBQ / gathering / birthday party for the kiddo.
Did a pork shoulder and pastrami-ized a corned beef that I got St Patrick’s day and had saved in the freezer.
IMG_6247.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6248.jpeg
    IMG_6248.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I was gifted a smoker a few weeks ago. It’s a standard camp chef propane smoker. My father in-law had used it for years but wanted a ninja smoker (and many other functions at a smaller size) so he could take it in their fifth wheel.

I’m going to try smoking a 9.3lbs pork shoulder tomorrow. I think I’m ready for my first attempt. Any suggestions or tips from you seasoned smokers? I have all sorts of chips although I’m not sure how much I should have ready and soaking, probably not a huge deal.

Towards the end I plan on tossing on a couple of chicken breasts for my wife. She doesn’t care for pork. I was thinking those might go on when I wrap the pork and put a probe into them to monitor the temperature. Or maybe they will go on early and then take them off when done. I guess there’s no right or wrong.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning more from this group! Cheers!

I’m going to try smoking a 9.3lbs pork shoulder tomorrow. I think I’m ready for my first attempt. Any suggestions or tips from you seasoned smokers? I have all sorts of chips although I’m not sure how much I should have ready and soaking, probably not a huge deal.
1.) monitor the internal temp of the meat and pull off between 190º-195ºF.
2.) wrap with foil or butcher paper and rest for an hour or so.

I cook em at 300ºF and a 9.3lb'er will take about 5.5 hours at that temp.
Enjoy!

1.) monitor the internal temp of the meat and pull off between 190º-195ºF.
2.) wrap with foil or butcher paper and rest for an hour or so.

I cook em at 300ºF and a 9.3lb'er will take about 5.5 hours at that temp.
Enjoy!
Thank you! So don’t wrap it and put it back on for a bit longer till it hits a little higher like 200?

I’m looking to shred/pull it apart for some pulled pork. I forgot to mention if it makes a difference.

I never wrap my pork butt until its finished. Then I wrap foil and a towel and put in a cooler for 1-4 hours depending on when we plan to eat. Iprefer to smoke in the 225-250F range. I like a little more smoke and bark. To each his own. There is no wrong way. Make sure you give your self time. Nothing worse than the family waiting around for the meat to finish so everyone can eat at 8:30pm. LOL! At 225F I put mine on at 10 or 11pm the night before. Usually finishes late morning or early afternoon depending on size and ambient temps/humidity.

Thank you! So don’t wrap it and put it back on for a bit longer till it hits a little higher like 200?

I’m looking to shred/pull it apart for some pulled pork. I forgot to mention if it makes a difference.
If you wrap and put it in a cooler for an hour or more, the internal temp will raise well over 200ºF while resting. Yup, I always pull/shred mine. Did 40 lbs over the weekend, pulled them at 195º, wrapped in foil for 1.5 hours. They fell apart easily. The higher temp you go, the mushier they get. I like them to pull easily but have a little firmness. All depend what you're looking for. Cheers!

I prefer to smoke in the 225-250F range. I like a little more smoke and bark.

I put mine on at 10 or 11pm the night before. Usually finishes late morning or early afternoon depending on size and ambient temps/humidity.
Yeah, I used to do low & slow and do 'em overnight was I was a little younger and drank more! Now I'm old and just want to get it done, therefore, the 300º and finish in an afternoon! Yup, no right or wrong, whatever works for you...

I never wrap my pork butt until its finished. Then I wrap foil and a towel and put in a cooler for 1-4 hours depending on when we plan to eat. Iprefer to smoke in the 225-250F range. I like a little more smoke and bark. To each his own. There is no wrong way. Make sure you give your self time. Nothing worse than the family waiting around for the meat to finish so everyone can eat at 8:30pm. LOL! At 225F I put mine on at 10 or 11pm the night before. Usually finishes late morning or early afternoon depending on size and ambient temps/humidity.
Thanks! I might be up before sunrise dropping my in-laws off at the airport. So I was thinking if I get the smoker going when I return I should be good to go.

Start warming the smoker, make some coffee then get the pork in there and enjoy a quiet morning with some coffee and maybe an Irish coffee later on. 🤣

Thanks @YeastFeast and @Oldskewl for the feedback! I appreciate the quick responses.

Is there a good rule of thumb to follow? In this case with a pork shoulder X lbs at X temperature takes about X hours?
I've only been keeping track of that since I switched to cooking everything "high & fast". That's the only reason I know 9lbs @ 300º take about 5.5 hours.

I was gifted a smoker a few weeks ago. It’s a standard camp chef propane smoker. My father in-law had used it for years but wanted a ninja smoker (and many other functions at a smaller size) so he could take it in their fifth wheel.

Towards the end I plan on tossing on a couple of chicken breasts for my wife. She doesn’t care for pork. I was thinking those might go on when I wrap the pork and put a probe into them to monitor the temperature. Or maybe they will go on early and then take them off when done. I guess there’s no right or wrong.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning more from this group! Cheers!
My first smoker was similar, the Masterbuilt propane cabinet smoker.

One thing I noticed using wood chunks is that there was often a tendency for them to start to ignite. I recommend keeping a spray bottle filled with water that can quickly spritz them if they do so. The way you'll be able to tell is that you'll go from thin blue smoke to white acrid smoke if they start to ignite rather than smolder. Just hit them with a spritz of water to put them out and you're fine. As you get more used to the smoker you'll better dial in temps and placement of the wood tray to help stop that from happening.

I'm in the "hot and fast" group for pork shoulder. I usually run them at a good 350-375 or so. You do have to worry at those temps if you have a lot of sugar in the rub (don't want to burn sugar) but if you're worried about that, run them at 300 instead. That'll also help for your wife as you'll already be at a good temp for chicken, and help you avoid not being done in time. Note though that at 300 it might be harder to keep the wood from igniting. So watch it closely. 300 should EASILY get it done in time for dinner if you start firing up the smoker first thing in the morning, and then as @Oldskewl suggests, wrap it in foil and towels in a cooler and it'll stay warm for hours. Better to be done early than late.

I personally don't pull pork shoulders off the smoker until they pass the "probe test" for tenderness. That's where you take your instant read thermometer and poke it in various parts of the shoulder. Once you're through the bark, the thermometer should go in with basically zero resistance. If you have to "push" once you're through the bark, it's not tender. I find with hot & fast that tends to be above 200 degrees IT. Not gonna argue with @YeastFeast about pulling earlier at lower temp and resting as I haven't tasted his 'cue, but that's the way I do it.

Starting up 2 pork butt's in a bout an hour.

1st real smoke on the masterbuilt 800 so curious to see how it goes as far as fuel consumption. (Ribs don't count as they are short)
1000003464.jpg

In they go...
Probes to monitor temp in the morning as well as checking the charcoal in the hopper. The old pellet pooper would run out of fuel in 3.5- 4 hours, we will see if I can get 7 hr tonight before it flames out.

Last edited:
Back