Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jrgtr42

Reaction score
I made up a pastrami the other day.
Started with a corned beef I've had in the freezer since St Paddy's day, soaked it down for a few days to get rid of most of the salt. Seasoned it up with coriander, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a few other things. Let that set up fopr a couple days, the on the smoker with hickory and cherry woods. |I'd have preferred to stick all hickory, maybe some oak, but I was running short. |Let it go all day, came out really tasty.
Sorry I don't have any pics, though.
Also threw a fresh kielbasa on while I was at it, that's been munchies for the weekend.

Oldskewl

Reaction score
Started with a corned beef I've had in the freezer since St Paddy's day, soaked it down for a few days to get rid of most of the salt. Seasoned it up with coriander, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a few other things. Let that set up fopr a couple days, the on the smoker with hickory and cherry woods. |I'd have preferred to stick all hickory, maybe some oak, but I was running short. |Let it go all day, came out really tasty.
Also threw a fresh kielbasa on while I was at it, that's been munchies for the weekend.
I also did a pastrami with a "On Sale Corned Beef" after St. Paddys day. It turned out awesome. I split it up into 4 packs and 3 went into the freezer. I break it out and make Reubens throughout the year. Delicious! Highly recommended.

jcfontario

Reaction score
Sounds almost like the Montreal Smoked Meat recipe that I use. After smoking steam that meat for 60-90 minutes and then slice for sandwiches and you will be in meat heaven!

jrgtr42

Reaction score
Sounds almost like the Montreal Smoked Meat recipe that I use. After smoking steam that meat for 60-90 minutes and then slice for sandwiches and you will be in meat heaven!
I kinda based it closer to smoked meat rather than pastrami - my dad is from there and every time we go, a pilgrimage to Schwartz' is a must. Plus, my grandfather worked with a smokehouse and used to bring them back, still warm from the smoker. Even cold it's way better than anything else. Though the seasoning mix was from an online recipe called, "better than Katz's pastrami.

jcfontario

Reaction score
I kinda based it closer to smoked meat rather than pastrami - my dad is from there and every time we go, a pilgrimage to Schwartz' is a must. Plus, my grandfather worked with a smokehouse and used to bring them back, still warm from the smoker. Even cold it's way better than anything else. Though the seasoning mix was from an online recipe called, "better than Katz's pastrami.
Thats cool. When you have your next pilgrimige to Montreal you should also include Smoke Meat Pete's out near the airport area. It has blues music and good smoked meat platters/sandwiches.

corkybstewart

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We bought a turkey from a local farmer he cut it in half so we had Thanksgiving dinner with half (9 pounds) and today I smoked the other half over apple wood. Also did a pound of salmon for tomorrow but people showed up for afternoon drinks so I'll be smoking another chunk of salmon tomorrow. The 3 pounds of sidemeat was to drip fat on the turkey 20211230_132640.jpg

Attachments