Who's brewing low ABV beers for the plague?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
I recently made a low ABV Blonde Ale that turned out great! i managed to figure out my sanitation issue's with my new brew system. Its nice to have something light that i can drink for a while in the sun or while i am at the desk. All i had on Tap was 12% mead and 10% cider.

I will add in my recipe if anyone is interested. what are you guys brewing and how are you all holding up with all this nonsense?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200521-185049.jpg
    Screenshot_20200521-185049.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 104
I just brewed a pilsner that should come out to a lil under 5%
I've been craving a well made crisp Pils and I think the increasing temps are gonna wind me up even more
Blonde ale.is on the docket as well

Yeah thats what happened with me. I have a amber ale my dad requested that I plan to keg soon. But I think I want to improve this recipe some more this summer. Along with a American wheat larger I made for last year's local competition.

As time goes on I am starting to appreciate simple beer made well. Lagers are an area I would like to improve on.

Attachments

• 20200521_192349.jpg
    20200521_192349.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I brewed some lagers back when it was colder out, and also tried a low ABV stout , some experimental 100% rye session ales and a low abv/low carb session pale ale. But as an "essential" employee I don't have as much free time as some people.
I've been making the best of the great weather we've been having to put in more fruit plants for brewing: strawberries, raspberries, cider apple trees and some pears. So brewing is on the back burner at the moment.

I work nights. So I spend my day landscaping and brew while I work on my slowdays or once everyone goes to sleep. I think we will be expected back to the office soon.

I am also working on planting for brewing, I have 7 apple trees to plant and 4 hop plants.

My plans for hop trellis i have set aside untill next year. With the back yard being so empty and large we have a bad bug problem. Just trying to keep my first year hops alive and my 2nd year hop mildew free has been a huge hassle.

Broke down and had a pest management company out so we will see.

I have a Blonde Ale from Adventures In Homebrewing that clocks in at about 4.6% that I need to get bottled up soon. Already chomping at the bit to save up and get a couple kegs, taps and a CO2 canister and start kegging instead of bottling.

Plan on brewing a Scottish 80/- which should roughly round out to about 4.5% abv. Might have to brew something else that'll be lighter to drink as well. A pilsner or blonde may do well. Might even give a wheat beer a go.

Means I'll have to buy more Grolsch to drink for the bottles though, which I'm not looking forward to.

That’s my thoughts I’m home too much now. Bottled a bitter today and got a bitter mashing right now.

I have a Blonde Ale from Adventures In Homebrewing that clocks in at about 4.6% that I need to get bottled up soon. Already chomping at the bit to save up and get a couple kegs, taps and a CO2 canister and start kegging instead of bottling.

It certainly make things much easier! if i didn't start kegging i would have quit.

Plan on brewing a Scottish 80/- which should roughly round out to about 4.5% abv. Might have to brew something else that'll be lighter to drink as well. A pilsner or blonde may do well. Might even give a wheat beer a go.

Means I'll have to buy more Grolsch to drink for the bottles though, which I'm not looking forward to.

for my wheat beer i use California common yeast, if you can get a hold of some its great. gives a clean "beer" taste that i love.

that's on my list, i have 25 pounds of Maris Otter to finish up.
I love to drink them. This was my first time making one and I had about 6-8 extra and I tasted real good. Making same recipe right now. I think it’s one I need to keep available; low alcohol but good flavor. Assuming I don’t screw this one up

I brewed a saison last weekend. I broke my graduated cylinder so I wont be able to have any exact gravity numbers but the software says it will be ~5.5 (ok..not exactly what you're talking about). I just thought it was relevant because this virus finally got me back into the brewing game!

for my wheat beer i use California common yeast, if you can get a hold of some its great. gives a clean "beer" taste that i love.

I'll have to gie it a go to see if I can find any. I'm not adverse to sticking any old yeast to hand in though and seeing how it goes, just because, so I may end up doing that as well lol. Still not looking forward to buying/drinking the Budweiser of Dutch beers just for that pop top bottle. At least it's not the Miller Lite of Dutch beer, Heineken.

i drink too much for low alcohol....i already have to brew 10 gallons once a week, if i brew less then 8% beer, i'd be brewing everyday.....plus the co2 tank would be empty too quick.....i drink the same amount of grams of ethanol, whether it's weak or strong beer.....

Hi Angus. Morebeer had 22oz Bombers on sale and I ordered 2 cases. I received 2 cases of 500ML swing-top bottles instead. They were available at double the cost on the website, but having paid shipping too, I wasn't about to complain and send them back (and pay shipping again). So I kept them. I don't suppose that will happen for you though. Over here in the states, Grolsch is now crown capped, haven't seen swing tops for ages but it doesn't matter, haven't purchased beer for a long time anyway.
The number following the "Scottish" designate is used to refer to the ABV of the contents and was used for Tax purposes. The higher the number, the higher the tax collected. For a lower ABV, you could consider brewing a Scottish 20 or thereabouts.

I very rarely brew over 5%. A friend of mine inspired me to try to brew an NA when I realized that the pale ales that I have been brewing lately get most of their hops in a post boil steep. So I brewed a batch and put aside some wort before hopping at 180F. Then I fermented it as usual. Then I brought the beer up to about 180 again for about a half hour before doing the usual hop steep. I think it's in the zone and would like to explore NA a little more. Where can I learn more about the method you are using here?

NA Strawberry Sour all-grain without evaporation method (aka neutering).
View attachment 681525

NA Barleywine using the evaporation method (oxymoron, I know)
View attachment 681526

Last edited:
I generally brew beers that are around 5% or less quarantined or not lol. I have a 6% porter and a 7.5% Dubbel in bottles right now, but I only drink those on occasion. I'm working on a sub 4% bretted saison recipe right now to hopefully enjoy by mid-late summer. I have a light lager at 3.7% and a pils at 4.5% on deck.

I would certainly like to learn more about @TwistedGray NA sour method.

For self-consumption, I brew lots of BJCP 1A Light American Lager. Typically 3.5% to 3.9% ABV. They have been so clean that they get 40+ points in competitions and are award winning. Great session beers. My last batch I tried Wyeast 2124 though, and am debating on dumping 15 gallons as there is a subtle smell and taste that I cannot appreciate.

Just tapped a hefeweizen that comes in at 5%. I've always found them finicky with temperature so it was naturally the first brew I wanted to tackle when I finally got around to adding temperature control (Anvil unit).

I have an all citra pale fermenting now that should come in at 5.3, then plan to do a nut brown next at around 5.4.

After that, back to moderate ABV though with a citra based IPA to act as a base for some experimentation with blood oranges so I can finish off the rest of my hops before the next bulk order!

I very rarely brew over 5%. A friend of mine inspired me to try to brew an NA when I realized that the pale ales that I have been brewing lately get most of their hops in a post boil steep. So I brewed a batch and put aside some wort before hopping at 180F. Then I fermented it as usual. Then I brought the beer up to about 180 again for about a half hour before doing the usual hop steep. I think it's in the zone and would like to explore NA a little more. Where can I learn more about the method you are using here?

That's the method, pretty much.

Make the beer, ferment it, and then hold at 170 for roughly 30-45min. Then keg or bottle with more yeast (I'm small batch so I keg).

I'm all learning about hop usage and how to manage that. Once I have a few under my belt, I'll post something in the recipe subforum.

I generally brew beers that are around 5% or less quarantined or not lol. I have a 6% porter and a 7.5% Dubbel in bottles right now, but I only drink those on occasion. I'm working on a sub 4% bretted saison recipe right now to hopefully enjoy by mid-late summer. I have a light lager at 3.7% and a pils at 4.5% on deck.

I would certainly like to learn more about @TwistedGray NA sour method.

Saison would work, too.

Make your Saison as you would , and use the "spent grain" to do a second batch (hot water sparge pour over should get you where you need to be (OG: 1.016 or less).

Just use half the hops if they're in the 5% AA range and less if they are higher in AA.

In short, the intention is to start with an already low gravity.

For self-consumption, I brew lots of BJCP 1A Light American Lager. Typically 3.5% to 3.9% ABV. They have been so clean that they get 40+ points in competitions and are award winning. Great session beers. My last batch I tried Wyeast 2124 though, and am debating on dumping 15 gallons as there is a subtle smell and taste that I cannot appreciate.

I do want to later at some point, but I need the set up.

I brewed a saison last weekend. I broke my graduated cylinder so I wont be able to have any exact gravity numbers but the software says it will be ~5.5 (ok..not exactly what you're talking about). I just thought it was relevant because this virus finally got me back into the brewing game!

5.5 I would consider low ABV.

Sounds interesting I am curious as well.

I have been only making beers about 5% for the last year, and it is great except that it is hard to just drink one at that strength.

Drinkability leads to more drinking.

Trappist Single is my go-to beer.

What does it taste like?

I have been only making beers about 5% for the last year, and it is great except that it is hard to just drink one at that strength.

Definitely the reason for me i want to drink a few but still be functional.

I’ve got my first iteration of a Trappist Single in the fridge right now. It’s good, but not exactly what I was going for. This is the 2nd Belgian beer I’ve made with Styrian Goldings and I think I’m just not a fan. I’m thinking of doing straight pils and Saaz along with some sugar to dry it out on my next try.

I’ve got my first iteration of a Trappist Single in the fridge right now. It’s good, but not exactly what I was going for. This is the 2nd Belgian beer I’ve made with Styrian Goldings and I think I’m just not a fan. I’m thinking of doing straight pils and Saaz along with some sugar to dry it out on my next try.

That sounds like it will be delightful. I've been slowly backing down on the sugar, and my next batch I'm going to just drop it entirely.

I don't think Styrian Golding brings enough to the party by itself. It addd something nice, maybe depth of flavor? Earthy hops always feel that way to me, but with Trappist Single I would finish with Saaz or Tettnang. I have been using Santiam or Crystal and been happy, but that's mostly because I'm cheap and they were on sale. Santiam is a flower-bomb if you aren't restrained. I've heard good things about Sterling as well.

I think I'll be re-brewing this beer for years.

Last edited:
Over here in the states, Grolsch is now crown capped, haven't seen swing tops for ages but it doesn't matter, haven't purchased beer for a long time anyway.

Grolsh 'Premium' Lager available here in Canada, doesn't seem to be listed at 'The beer Store' retailer, but if you ask they will find them in the back. The younger staff usually don't know its there and have to go looking.

I buy them because I sell the bottles to brewers on Kijiji (craigslist) for about the same price as the beer. I just sold about 120 of them for around $2.50 ea a few weeks ago. That puts it cheaper than homebrewing. :)

On the topic of low ABV - personally, I haven't found a beer over 5.5% that I really like other than the odd one-off. Before starting homebrewing, I would seek out the lowest ABV I could find at the store, I prefer around 3.5% ABV beers. Then the rare stout for flavour. In the end, I like a lot of different beers! :)

Last edited:
Back