Whoops - switched my bittering and flavoring hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinoth

Reaction score
My current brew is a Newcastle Brown Ale clone, and I accidentally switched my bittering and flavoring hops. The recipe calls for this:

Target pellets [.8 oz] (AA 10%) - 45 minutes of boil
Kent Golding pellets [.5 oz] (AA 5.5%) - last 15 minutes of boil

Instead, I did the opposite :drunk:

I'm still not really sure what the AA percentage means, but I'm gonna guess it determines just how bitter the hops are. Does this mean that my beer will end up having a weaker bittering than intended, and a stronger flavor?

Also, I'm not real sure how Target or Kent Golding hops behave, they may be completely different. Ah well, it will be interesting to drink nonetheless :)

Hey, get your story straight. You didn't make a mistake. You simply decided at the last minute that you wanted to brew a Southern Brown Ale instead of a Northern Brown Ale.

Really though, that wasn't going to be very highly hopped anyway. It'll be even less so now, but it's not like you swapped the bittering and flavor hops on an IPA. That brown ale will be fine.

Back