Whoops.... stupid stupid mistake, maybe not so bad after all?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
Ok, I normally brew beer and havent brewed in a while. I assumed all of my carboys were 6.5 gallons so I took a "wine kit" I had and measured "6" gallons and marked it. I realized later when my OG was off (OG is 1.09 was supposed to be 1.06) that there must only be 5 gallons in there and I mis-counted. But if I mis-counted, what kind of carboy did I use! I went and looked at my other carboy's and sure enough, they are bigger and this was indeed a 5 gallon carboy. It has been 24 hours since I pitched the yeast slurry. Here's my question:

I PREFER higher alcohol stuff anyway, would the wine be bad if I just left it as 5 gallons instead of 6?

Do you see any problems racking the wine to the 6.5 gallon carboy and adding a gallon after 48 hours (this is my next soonest opportunity to do this)?

The wine is a Strawberry reisling from "breezer" I think.

I think you'll just end up with a stronger wine in the end, you'll also probably have a stronger flavour than if you followed the directions exactly, I can't see it being a major problem.
I also wouldn't see an issue with transferring it to the larger carboy and topping up with the missing amount of water.

Back