Whoops (keg posts)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogicBomb

Reaction score
I just thoroughly took apart 3 kegs to clean - soaked everything in oxyclean and put it all back together.

Only... I didn't realize until this second that apparently gas and liquid posts are different?

I mixed up all the posts and poppets assuming the posts were the same (I had a few different designs on the posts between kegs so I just assumed it was a mix-and-match job from the previous owner).

Are the poppets different between gas and liquid? Which post is which?

Also - does it matter which side the dip tube goes in, or does it only matter which post gets put on top of it?

Feeling like I made a terrible mistake throwing everything together...

- On a given keg, original poppets are interchangeable between In and Out posts. If all three kegs were identical make/model and equipped with OEM poppets, there shouldn't be a problem if they get mixed up.

- Across all kegs, original keg poppets are definitely not universal - as this page will clearly show. Lots of different OEM poppets there. If you have three different make/model kegs there's a good chance you'll have different poppets in the mix.

- There are so-called "universal" replacement poppets, but they are generally inferior to OEM poppets, sometimes require length adjustment (read: cutting) to fit, and at least one brand is known to shed its o-ring during use. I'm not a fan.

- It really doesn't matter which post/dip-tube goes into which threaded riser, but most kegs have some indicator molded into the handle on the side with the In/Gas port. You'd be defeating something that often proves handy if you switch sides.

- In any case, the important thing is to keep the In/Gas/Notched post with the short dip tube...

Cheers!

on my kegs the dip tube (liquid) can only be put on one side if you try to put it on the wrong side it does not go into the keg far enough to thread the post on

poppets are the same for gas or liquid

all the best

S_M

on my kegs the dip tube (liquid) can only be put on one side if you try to put it on the wrong side it does not go into the keg far enough to thread the post on[...]

I have one keg like that. And fifteen that aren't - either by design, or due to a replacement Out dip tube...

Cheers!

Yup, could easily be. All of my kegs are ball lock, of various makes/models.
About the only thing I don't have is any race track styles...

Cheers!

I have read some folks cut the pick up tube off so it does not suck up gunk off the bottom of the keg

I just cut my gas tube off short so I can get more in the keg because my pin lock do not have PRVs

so to purge I using a poppet depressor

S_M

Back