Whole/plug VS pellet

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bulls Beers

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There's an AG recipe that I'm looking at and it calls for A whole/plug hop addition. I only have access to pellets. Can I use pellets instead and should I have to change the quantity?

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Pellet hops are a bit more concentrated than whole hops, so normally you reduce the amount of pellets a little. I don't have access to Beer Smith here at work though, so I can't give you a number. Maybe bumping the thread will bring it to the attention of someone with a more accurate answer.

flyangler18

Reaction score
When using pellet hops, you'll use approximately 10% less compared to whole hop/plugs, assuming the same AA%. As pellet hops are pulzerized whole hops, you will get great utilization from the pellets due to increased surface area.

OP
Bulls Beers

Bulls Beers

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for .50 Saaz and .50 of Tettnanger Whole/plug. Should I decrease it by 25% with pellet? Or is that too much?

wildwest450

Banned
Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for .50 Saaz and .50 of Tettnanger Whole/plug. Should I decrease it by 25% with pellet? Or is that too much?
That's to much. To be honest I don't even compensate when using pellets or whole hops, it's just not a huge difference.

BigEd

Reaction score
Show us the complete recipe for an informed answer. However, with that small of a quantity I would just sub 1:1.

OP
Bulls Beers

Bulls Beers

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the recipe. I was wondering if anybody has made this one. It's an Oktoberfest recipe in tasty brew.. I'd like to make this one tomorrow...

6lb-British 2 Row
5lb-Vienna
2lb-Munich
1lb-Crystal 10L
1lb-German Dark Caramel

Hop Additions
1.50 Hallertau (Pellet)
.50 Tettnanger (Hop plug)
.50 Saaz ( Hop Plug)
.50 Tettnanger ( Hop Plug)

BigEd

Reaction score
Here's the recipe. I was wondering if anybody has made this one. It's an Oktoberfest recipe in tasty brew.. I'd like to make this one tomorrow...

6lb-British 2 Row
5lb-Vienna
2lb-Munich
1lb-Crystal 10L
1lb-German Dark Caramel

Hop Additions
1.50 Hallertau (Pellet)
.50 Tettnanger (Hop plug)
.50 Saaz ( Hop Plug)
.50 Tettnanger ( Hop Plug)
Never made that one but here are some opinionated suggestions on improving it:

Lose the crystal & caramel malts, drop the pale malt down (better yet also replace it with pilsner malt) and up the Vienna and Munich.

7 lbs Vienna
5 lbs Munich
3 lbs Pilsner

The hops look OK. What is the batch size and estimated OG here? An OG of 1.055-1.060 with an IBU in the mid 20s would be a good target.

:mug:

OP
Bulls Beers

Bulls Beers

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Never made that one but here are some opinionated suggestions on improving it:

Lose the crystal & caramel malts, drop the pale malt down (better yet also replace it with pilsner malt) and up the Vienna and Munich.

7 lbs Vienna
5 lbs Munich
3 lbs Pilsner

The hops look OK. What is the batch size and estimated OG here? An OG of 1.055-1.060 with an IBU in the mid 20s would be a good target.

:mug:
The batch size is 5.5gallons. You got the OG target right. This will be my first Oktoberfest recipe. Thanks for you help..

Is that grain bill too large for a 5 gallon batch?

BigEd

Reaction score
Is that grain bill too large for a 5 gallon batch?
15 pounds seems like a lot. Assuming an average 75% conversion efficiency 11 pounds of malt would get you very close to an OG of 1.060, with 15 pounds your OG would be over 1.080. Using that 75% figure for a five gallon batch would break it down to approximately 5 lbs Vienna, 3.75 lbs Munich and 2.25 lbs Pilsner.