Whole leaf hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralelen

Reaction score
Could I replace 1oz of a pellet hop (Simcoe) with 1oz of whole leaf and get the same AA? Or is there a formula for substitution? The Hops are being planned to be added at 15 and flame out.

Usage is 1oz pellets to 1oz loose - and the alphas should be noted somewhere on the package - they vary from crop to crop.

the AA would be the same across a different amount of hops but the IBU's contributed from whole leaf vs pellets is different. you need more whole leaf than pellets. i think the utilization of whole leafs is something like 75% that of pellets. im sure someone will chime in with a more reliable number.

my info comes from the guys at the HBS...though many on this forum say that extraction is slightly lower when using loose hops

the AA would be the same across a different amount of hops but the IBU's contributed from whole leaf vs pellets is different. you need more whole leaf than pellets. i think the utilization of whole leafs is something like 75% that of pellets. im sure someone will chime in with a more reliable number.

I meant IBU, had to deal with a flooded basement so the brain isnt working today.

I wonder if pulverizing whole leaf hops would elevate some of the liquid loses associated with using them for dry hopping, but that may be for another thread...

Do you want to raise liquid loss? I am under the impression it will happen no matter what. The angels have to get their share too. IMO, whole hops are easier to deal with. "Unless you have a filter" is what a friend of mine says who uses pellets though so go figure.

Back