whole fruit vs. juiced fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solusveritas

Reaction score
When making a melomel, it seems in most cases that all you want is the juice from the fruit. So with that in mind, I was wondering if instead of putting the whole fruits into my fermenter, I could use a juicer on the fruit and use just the juice that it yields. Also this would seem to make clean up easier, and I wouldn't lose so much volume when I rack the mead off the fruit. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

It depends on the fruit. With dark berries, for example, you may want the whole fruit as the color comes from skin contact.

You can get good results either way. Be aware that some fruits contain significant flavor/tannins in the skins, so just using juice would affect the flavor (for good or ill, depending on what you want).

I made a blackberry melomel at the end of April. dealing with the whole berries was a royal PITA, especially since I was only using a 1 gal jug, That said, the color is beautiful, the tannins helped it clear super-fast, and it tastes fantastic (though still "hot" from being so young).

I'm actually annoyed that it has come out so good because I reeeeeeeally didn't want to go through that process again in making another batch. Darn it...

Back