Whoa! Too much dry hopping! Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I added 3 oz of a "Cascade-like" hops (it was described to me as "Cascades on steroids") in the secondary for a little over a week (5 gallon batch). It is now 2 weeks after that and the beer is carbonated in the kegerator. I have been trying a glass each day. This is the most grapefruity beer I have ever tasted. My wife said it tastes like you are biting into a grapefruit. I do like it anyway, but I am wondering if there is any way to reduce that flavor. I suppose I could make another batch, don't dry hop at all, and then combine them. But short of doing that.

Up until now I didn't know you could over-hop beer. I've used 3 oz of Cascade hops before dry hopping but not with these results (this was a very high alpha hops - I forget the name).

You may have used Centennial which is a high alpha cascade like hop. Dry hopping will age out somewhat, other than that I'd think mixing is the other option like you mentioned.

There is still another option. Send the grapefruit keg my way. I've yet to taste a beer with too much hop flavor or aroma. Sounds like Amarillo's MO to me.

For more info listen to the brew strong podcast episode on dry hopping. I've been making the mistake of leaving the dry hops in the keg till it's kicked, but turns out that can extract tannins.

There is still another option. Send the grapefruit keg my way. I've yet to taste a beer with too much hop flavor or aroma. Sounds like Amarillo's MO to me.

Or.....or you could just send it my way....yeah that is a MUCH better idea. A grapefuity, hoppy beer sounds FANTASTIC to me.

3 oz seems like a lot to dry hop with. I'm a hop junkie, but I've never dry-hopped with more than 1.5 oz. I usually use Cascade hops. Anyway, I'd love to help out in polishing off that keg of yours!:mug:

+1 3oz sounds like a lot; that said, I would late it condition for a awhile (no more dry hopping). The grapefuit taste should subside a little, and once you have it carbed well it will help the flavor of the beer. Ever have Victory Brewings Golden Monkey? I'd over carb it a little and see how it goes, might be suprised :)

I have an IPA on tap that I dry hopped with Amarillo. I think it was 2oz, but in any case the flavor has gotten less fruity over the 1.5-2 months since hopping. Maybe just let it sit for some time.

update - this has mellowed out nicely, it is very good! I will make it the same way next time and let it sit a month before sampling.

I had the same experience with my IPA. Very grapefruity. Finishing hops were Amarillo then dryhopped with blend of Amarillo and Cascade. I think 2009 Amarillo hop crop has very strong grapefruit characteristcs. Kegging second batch this weekend and will see if it has the same profile.

My policy is to dry hop with no more than an ounce for a week, then remove that and repeat as necessary. Sometimes, I'll re-hop mid-batch if the nose is getting weak.

Too much? is that possible?

I see others have made the same comment but i had to add my 2 cents.

I say add some more centennials and throw it in the blender with some ice. Make a hop slushy.

***EDIT***
I see they were Amarillo hops not centennials.

Back