Whoa..It's GOOD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbee

Reaction score
Just moved my first batch from plastic primary to carboy. hated to leave about 1 - 1 1/2 inches left behind with the auto siphon but at least I got a good tasting. (AT least as much as I could at 9am and having to still go to work LOL) And it tasted GOOD!!!

Couple of questions if I may.

1) While siphoning I noticed some air in the tube just past the auto siphon tube and bubbling occurring because of it. Is this small amount of oxygenation going to affect my beer?

2) After siphoning into the 5 gal carboy there is still a good 5 - 6 inches to the top of the carboy. I have seen some mention to add cooled boiled water to about 1 inch from the top of the carboy and others state not to add additional water. I'm not concerned about having exactly 5 gal of beer but the most of a good beer. I know there should be some further fermentation and the O2 should be replaced with CO2, I am just concerned if the large headspace that I have is still OK.

3) Lastly, this brew is a honey wheat and I was wondering about adding some apricot flavoring but don't want the entire batch to have apricot. What, how, when can I do (if it is possible) this??

Thanks for the input.

1) Not a problem. Sometimes squeezing the tube can get rid of the train of bubbles, but I don't worry about it.

2) I wouldn't add water unless you want to water down what you have. The headspace won't make any difference and you will get a blanket of CO2.

3) You can bottle half the batch and then add apricot flavoring to taste in the bottling bucket to the remaining half and bottle it.

Baron von BeeGee said:
1) Not a problem. Sometimes squeezing the tube can get rid of the train of bubbles, but I don't worry about it.

2) I wouldn't add water unless you want to water down what you have. The headspace won't make any difference and you will get a blanket of CO2.

3) You can bottle half the batch and then add apricot flavoring to taste in the bottling bucket to the remaining half and bottle it.

Thanks!!! I feel better.

Since flavoring about half a batch how flavoring would be recommended for not a strong final flavor?

Just add it to taste in the bottling bucket. It really depends on the extract you use and I don't have nary a bit of experience with fruit flavoring extracts. Start with a littl e and work your way up since it's a real chore to remove extra... ;)

As far as flavoring with extracts go, I have heard that a good way to do it is to pour a pint or so into a glass and add drops to that until it tastes the way you want it to. Then if you added say 4 drops, multiply that out for the total amount of beer you have. Then add about 80% of that total you figured above to the total amount of beer and then taste it. If its good leave it, if you feel you need the total about, then add it. Remember, you can always add more but you can never take it back out. :D

Latest posts

Back