Who pours the whole bottle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdigger

Reaction score
OK...I know there a little sediment at the bottom of every bottle...I usually try not to pour it all into my glass, but on occasion I've poured up every drop into the glass, not paying attention...but...really don't notice that big of a difference in taste. Maybe clouds the beer a little bit...but, frankly, I don't really care that much about the clarity...

What do you do? Why?

GT

I leave the dregs in the bottle where they belong in everything but wheat ales. The rest should be relatively clear to avoid the yeasty flavors.

Depends on the brew, most often for dark brews, on occasion for ipas etc.
Wheats, definitely, learned a trip from a pub in Seattle. They would pour all but about 1/2 into the glass. Then lay the bottle on it's side and gently roll it back and forth for about 3-4 minutes, letting it rest every once in a while. Then top off the glass...tasty! And like GilaMinumBeer, sometimes just slug the dregs after the pour....

I certainly leave as much yeast as possible in the bottle, don't want the yeast affecting taste and clarity (not to mention gas output). I've just trained myself to pour all but the last 1/4-1/2 ounce out of every bottle I pour now - homebrew, commercial, filtered, unfiltered - it's just a force of habit now.

Depends on the beer for me. Something light, clear, and clean? Leave dregs & dump them.

Lately I've been either pouring, or swirling and drinking the dregs in my mocha stout, though. The yeast flavors are not nearly strong enough to impact that beer. Also, I have a hunch that some of the cocoa flavor settles out with the yeast as well, because the sediment tastes very chocolatey. So I believe it actually does slightly improve this beer.

I gave a six pack of homebrew to a buddy once, and he drank the whole six pack in one night, including the dregs. He said that during lunch the next day his bowels almost exploded at the restaurant table. He made it to the bathroom fortunately. Maybe I should have warned him... Oops... And for some reason he hasn't been by lately to drink with me... Hmm...

I've found that, in hoppy beers, a lot of the hop flavors settle out with the yeast so I'll either pour the whole thing or, if for some reason I want a clear beer, I'll pour the clear into a glass and just drink the dregs from the bottle. I don't get any negative effects from consuming the yeast slurry (probably due to a diet already rich in fermented foods and drinks) so I don't think the extra flavor and health benefits are worth dumping.

I leave the dregs in the bottle, definitely. And, I'll admit it, it's all cosmetic – I don't really brew particularly delicate-flavored beers, mostly porters and hoppy pales/IPA's, and I'm a little OCD about racking off the trub, so, no way whatever little bit of yeast is left over is gonna make a big flavor contribution. But, there's just something about pouring a beautiful, crystal-clear glass of beer that you made yourself...

I pour the entire bottle. With a single, gentle pour...the bulk of the sediment remains stuck to the base of the bottle anyhow. No need to waste beer!

I pour as much as I can without getting any sediment. For some of my beers that is the whole bottle depending on the yeast used and how long the bottle has been sitting since filled. I don't purposely pour the yeast.

I try to leave the bulk of it behind, which leaves maybe an ounce of beer. I don't care much for floaty things in my drinks, though I don't mind when it's a commercial beer it seems.

However I have found that the yeast sediment does greatly impact my beer's flavor (lighter beer maybe?), and so I'm meticulous about leaving it behind unless it's a stout as I can't see it and I haven't noticed a flavor impact per se.

Now for the REAL question, for the dregs drinkers. How many of you wait patiently for that last little bit of yeast laden foam to exit the bottle?

:rockin:

I usually leave a little bit in the bottle. I have no real great reason except that is what someone said I should do.

I pour all the yeast if it is WY 3711. I'll pour some of the WY 1056 in my amber ale. Brother and Sister-in-law pour all the yeast all the time, no matter what kind of beer it is.

Ive mastered the art of leaving the yeast in the last bit of beer in the bottle. Unless its a wheat, the yeast stays in the bottle. I was at my friend's house a year or two ago for the superbowl and I took some Zombie Dust with me. He told me at the end of the night that he noticed my bottles had a small amount of beer still in so he polished them off for me. I then had to explain why I did so.

Ive mastered the art of leaving the yeast in the last bit of beer in the bottle. Unless its a wheat, the yeast stays in the bottle. I was at my friend's house a year or two ago for the superbowl and I took some Zombie Dust with me. He told me at the end of the night that he noticed my bottles had a small amount of beer still in so he polished them off for me. I then had to explain why I did so.

Aachh! You are supposed to rinse after pouring. Your friend deserves many kudos for cleaning out your bottles.

Back