Who makes their own juice with a juicer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaterWeasel

Reaction score
I see most people buy cider, concentrate or press their own juice. I use a Jack LaLane juicer...lots of sediment. I strain in a bag, but its still pretty thick when I begin. What can I expect? I busted out the wine theif tonight and gave it a try (on the second rack only 3.5 weeks in) it is pretty potent! tell me a story about juicing...All I see is people using concentrate and pressed cider. Do you juice?

I juice, in a home made cider press. We have a breville juicer that works well but I can't imagine making 5 gallons of cider with it, that would take a really long time.

I used a jucier it was gd but took a long while i only made a gallon of perry i think if i made any more i would use a press

i juice a lot, it works ok, if i had the space i would build a real press, but i don't. juicers are inefficient, but the quality of the juice is fine. select nice firm varieties, these juice better, softer ones give you mush and clog up the juicer. it's not perfect but i can fill my 10 or 12 L fermenters in 40ish minutes. i think my juicer is basically the same as yours, i don't get that much sediment, my strategy is: quarter the apples if necessary, run them through the machine. if the waste is really wet, run it through again, but then the seeds start to mush up and that's not ideal. by the way the waste out the back presses great if it is still wet, you can squeeze some juice out of it by hand with cheesecloth if you really want a challenge. let the juice clear up for an hour, there will be a whole lot of thick foam. you can skim that off or just stir it in and ferment it; the stuff in the foam will make a lot of sediment so i usually skim it off and eat it! that's it. add yeast and wait. i have done very many batches this way, usually 10L at a time, and it always gives good results. i have done the same apples juiced vs pressed and the result is basically the same

My Jack LaLane juicer leaves behind no mush. The thing is fast and efficient. You could not squeeze any juice out of the leavings! In fact I toss them in a cardboard box when the bin gets full and it doesn't even get wet! I was just wondering about the sediment...My first batch was tough to rack since the lees were so thick. If thats normal then great! I only cut the apples first if they are too big to fit in the hopper. But my trees gave me small apples this year so they go in whole. If you were in the market for a juicer...I would suggest you get the Jack L!
Takes me less than an hour to make 5 gallons of juice and its a snap to clean.
Wife bought it for me..I love it.

My Jack LaLane juicer leaves behind no mush. The thing is fast and efficient. You could not squeeze any juice out of the leavings! In fact I toss them in a cardboard box when the bin gets full and it doesn't even get wet! I was just wondering about the sediment...My first batch was tough to rack since the lees were so thick. If thats normal then great! I only cut the apples first if they are too big to fit in the hopper. But my trees gave me small apples this year so they go in whole. If you were in the market for a juicer...I would suggest you get the Jack L!

Good to know I'm going to look into this.

wow sounds great. if it's at all like mine the lees will compact if you just forget about it in the primary for a ~2 months

Back