Who is this guy??? lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
I was perusing youtube and came across this...Dont know if any of you have seen this but it cracked me up...:rockin:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDPrl50RxeU]YouTube - How to make home brew the modern way. Part 1of3[/ame]

awesome.

"kit says boil the extract, I just dump it in the bucket"

"kit says pitch yeast at 70 degrees, I pitch mine at 90"

then he impresses us by chugging one of his beers all while to have what appears to be a "dip" in his mouth.

This guys a frickin genius. Why am I wasting 5-6 hours going all grain when I could do it in 30 minutes?:rolleyes:

This guy turned off the review option for his video post. See the reasoning for doing so below.

This is how I first started making home brew. I was trying to show how to make beer cheap and easy. I blocked comments because of all of the pricks out there that make smart ass comments and have never tried making it this way. All I have to say to them is piss off!!

Sure, there's some bad advice out there. We've been through this discussion before, and it usually winds up getting a bit ugly. The bottom line is that guys like Craig and mieses2pieces enjoy the hell out of what they do, so much so, that they felt compelled to share their experiences. That's actually pretty admirable. Places like HBT exist to help take it to the next level.

This guy has some great videos. Like when he slams a bottle of homebrew, which he bottled in a corona bottle, as fast as he can. Yeast, sediment and all...

Then there is the classic where he sticks an unopened can of malt in boiling water to warm it up.

We had some fun with his videos on TBN about a year ago. I even interacted with him via youtube posts for awhile.

But hey, it beats BMC I am sure.

i find it interesting he washes bottles in teh dishwasher to save time. yet he primes each bottle one at a time :)

True. Back before I started kegging, I used the heat cycle on my dishwasher to sanitize too. Saved an insane amount of time but, you are right. Why carb each bottle.

This guy is all kinds of kooky.

Stellar...Simply Stellar...Love the powdered sugar bit...Guy is making Donuts...lol...Jamil, Palmer, Mosher, and Papazian MOVE OVER...lol...

Yeah. Can't think of any reason why I would want to put powdered sugar in my beer. Powdered sugar has corn starch in it. Corn starch doesn't ferment. What a maroon.

ahhhh.... I love how he chugs the beer... I was thinking to myself when I first saw these video's that the guy really has no clue... But realistically he does... He has an insane knowledge of how to make an alcoholic beverage as cheap as possible... I thought it was funny though how he "saves" the packaging labels from the kits... and posts them on his little shelve thing in his basement... But then again the guy is in his 30-40s ? and he still has every bottle of beer he's ever tried up on the top of his cabinet in his kitchen...

Hell hes probably the sponsor for the local Figure 8 race track...lol...Cowtip Brewery...Have to admit, its probably the best clone for BMC Ive seen...lol

This guy has some great videos. Like when he slams a bottle of homebrew, which he bottled in a corona bottle, as fast as he can. Yeast, sediment and all...

Then there is the classic where he sticks an unopened can of malt in boiling water to warm it up.

We had some fun with his videos on TBN about a year ago. I even interacted with him via youtube posts for awhile.

But hey, it beats BMC I am sure.

To be fair, several months ago one of the LME cans I picked up suggested sitting it in boiling/near boiling water for 10 minutes or so to loosen it up. I thought it was a goofy idea then as well, but maybe this guy read it off a can somewhere also.

I think I need to shave my beard, that guy looks too much like me!
Well, all I can say is if he likes it, what the hell. I just wish bad advice like this was not out there.

Before I started homebrewing, I knew very little at all. I searched on youtube 'homebrewing' and this dude popped up. I watched his video and knew that what he was doing was screwed up.

It might be bad advise, but you have to admit.. he makes it sound pertty simple, bad advise and all, which is enough to get people in to it.. and he's very enthusiastic about what he's saying.

I remember what got me in to it was back in my military days a roommate of mine made a mr. beer type kit and started brewing much worse than this guy is.. I had a few of them and when I left the Army I thought about it and went to a LHBS and then found this site.

I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that I brewed my first batch of beer because I thought how great it is that I can make my own alcohol from water grain and yeast, before I really knew what went into it.

I'm really glad that I read Papazian's "Joy of HB" before I tried my first batch of extract. I was paying attention to every detail and think I got a great start because of it. I can't think of a single step along the way of this guy's process that I would have allowed myself to do even on my first batch.

You know, if this guy and people similar love what they do so much, why have they not done some very simple research? A beginner should never see this instruction. It makes me wonder if its a joke.

Love=Responsibility

I found this guy quite some time ago. He hasn't gotten into the hobby quite as much as some of us here, but at least he's using DME now.

Although if you look in the description for the linked video he has a link to another video where he says he uses 3# of honey instead of using DME. I'm not sure if using that much honey is a good idea or not, but at least the guy is making steps in the right direction and away from powdered sugar.

Uh oh, Craigtube is leaving comments on his videos. These two joining forces can't be good for the home brewing world. :D

lol I am glad I found this site before I found something like that on Youtube

From what I've heard, this was the state of the art during prohibition. Probably still better than a can of Bud

where he says he uses 3# of honey instead of using DME. I'm not sure if using that much honey is a good idea or not, but at least the guy is making steps in the right direction and away from powdered sugar.

So he's now finding out how to make a braggot, I make them all the time with late runnings from high gravity beers.
I try not to tear down other brewers if they like what they make. I can only try to offer advice on possible improvements. I don't know it all, and don't think I ever will.
I'm just glad for this community. :mug:

Hey- this guy is having fun, is inspiring people to get into brewing, and clearly likes his own beer. What is wrong with that? It's also a great reminder that beer brewing doesn't have to be complicated. Is the beer good? Not for me to say.

Hey- this guy is having fun, is inspiring people to get into brewing, and clearly likes his own beer. What is wrong with that? It's also a great reminder that beer brewing doesn't have to be complicated. Is the beer good? Not for me to say.

I completely agree, thats the great part about home brew and craft brew.. there's no specific rules to it.. You make the rules.. If you want to do it half-assed then hey, more power to you...

Remember we're not commercial brewers that have to toe the line on a specific recipes, formulas or directions.. People will see him, realize how easy it is, then find homebrewtalk or other forums and learn how to improve ...

My grandfather brews like that guy - his beer is always subpar, but he loves it and loves the process. Who am I to infringe on that... lol

I'm really not anywhere near that polite, I just don't want to face the wrath of Yuri's modhammer. :D

Yeah, me neither. :D

I guess we could get all smug and insult the method, but if he likes the beer, then who am I to say it's wrong?

I wouldn't want to post my spaghetti sauce making video online, and have professional chefs (or amateur chefs)critique it. It's my sauce- I like it, it works for me, and it's quick and easy. Someone with more experience might jeer, because it's not the "right" way to do it.

It's the same thing with the beer. Many of us make good beer. But I've had some pretty ****ty beer in a few beerswaps, too. No way would I tell anybody that their way is wrong.

<sarcasm>

I think we need a "Hooch" forum, where the main ingredients are sugar and kool-aid. Maybe it would attract Google searches from people watching these videos, and then they'd start browsing the rest of the site. :rockin:

</sarcasm>

I agree...some people enjoy playing bad golf. IMO it all goes back to the question; Why do you brew? If it's just for personal enjoyment then whatever gets you that personal enjoyment is a good thing.

You know, I'd say there are way more brewers doing things in the vein of AB, Craigtube and this guy than we think. Despite being some 30K members strong (of which say 10-20% are really active participants), HBT is really a small sliver of the total brewers out there.

For many, brewing at home is just about having access to inexpensive booze (like CraigTube) rather than geeking out on styles, process, yeast ranching, etc. These guys really embrace the homebrewing spirit, producing an end result they are satisfied with. It's being sensitive to the multitude of reasons that people choose to brew their own beer that gives me pause about evangelizing to the masses too loudly without sounding like an utter pedant.

Some comments.

From what I've heard, this was the state of the art during prohibition. Probably still better than a can of Bud

Probably not...If I was forced to choose between a Bud Light and homebrew beer fermented at 90F (that wasn't a Saison), I'd take the Bud Light all day.

No hot fusels for this guy... :D

Back