Who is Growing Hops in 5 Gallon Buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
I've got a few rhizomes ready to plant. I was originally thinking about 20 inch pots but have been considering 5 gallon buckets instead.

The buckets will certainly weigh less if/when it comes time to move them (winter).

Is anyone sucessfully growing hops in 5 gallon buckets?

If so, I suspect one rhizome per bucket is the norm?

I did it the first year. Then transplanted them into my big ass planters the second year. I thought they worked out quite well. Make sure to drill holes in the bottoms of the buckets. One rhizome per bucket, and I wouldn't do it past the first year...

You could make a self watering planter out of 2 buckets. Use the top one for the soil and put ropes in it to the bottom one, which will have water.

Well, mine aren't in 5 gallon buckets, but they are in planters, which is kind of the same thing. And they're doing just fine. One rhizome per planter as you suggested.

They will be going in the ground eventually. I just have to win the war with the vines that the previous home owners planted around my pergola.

just moved one of mine to a bucket. It was not getting enough sun where I put it. Hope it goes well and does not get root bound

Back